PDA

View Full Version : trailer bunk problems ???

Jdm89supra
03-27-2013, 12:42 AM
ok crazy question but I have looked around on the forum to try to find the answer to this. I have an 89 conbrio and an 82 comp. my question is on the conbrio trailer it has the center v bunk. quide pols in back and bow poles as well. when unloading and loading the bow of the boat hits the center v bunk. its to the point of scuffing up the bow pretty bad. it is not scuffing the keel it is hitting from center of bow 10 in back on each side on the gelcoat. now their is no gelcoat. I have tried to drop it in deeper so that it wont hit. our ramps are long and drawn out at one end of the lake and steep as crap on the other end. ether ramp it keeps scuffing the bow. I have also tried re adjusting the bunks and v bunk. my comp trailer dosnt have the v bunk and it is fine totally difernt trailer. I have come to the conclusion of cutting the v bunk out and moving it back three inches. basically to drop the bunk under water more so that it will not hit has anyone else had this issue or heard of anyone having this problem.

Jetlink
03-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Can you take some pictures of the part/area of the trailer that you are talking about and post them up here? I'm trying to visualize it based off of your description but I'm having difficulty with it at the moment.

haugy
03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Sounds like you have an off-brand trailer.

Is the carpet still good on the v-bunks?

Jdm89supra
03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Sounds like you have an off-brand trailer.

Is the carpet still good on the v-bunks?

No its the factory trailer for this boat that it came with in 89 and new carpet on all bunks

haugy
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
No its the factory trailer for this boat that it came with in 89 and new carpet on all bunks

So does it look like this trailer? And you are referencing the bow riser (V-bunk)?

http://mastercraft-boats-for-sale.net/wp-content/uploads/awpcp/thumbs/PqNsh5I65U15F13G93F83H2c4o0eee67a58e57120d.jpg

Jdm89supra
03-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Yes same trailer and same v bunk

haugy
03-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Ah.....the Bow riser......bow riser......bow riser.........bow riser.......:D

This is a V-bunk, see the two bunks in the middle that make a V? Sorry, just trying to help you so we can help you.

http://www.waterskis.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/ski%20boat%20trailer%202.jpg

As for the bow riser rubbing too hard, it sounds like you aren't getting enough lift out of your main bunks. Either that or your bow riser needs to be re-carpeted. You could put some padding behind it too to help.

If your main bunks are worn down, and I'm not talking just about the carpet, the wood can compress over time. That will cause the boat to not lift as much, and it won't take much to make that bow riser take the load. It's only use is to help support the bow weight and provide a rest. I've lifted my bunks 1" before and it created a gap in the bow riser. So they fit very snug.

My thoughts would be to first address the easiest one, the bow riser. Pull it off and redo the wood, put in some padding (I used one of those anti-fatigue mats you can get at Lowes and cut it up), and then re-carpet it. That might help with the rubbing.

What ever you do, don't cut it out. That is the only thing supporting your bow. That boat will bounce and buck if you do it. I would highly advise you against it. If you have to, cut if off, grind a half-inch off the bottom, and re-weld on the trailer. That would help while still giving you something to rest the bow on.

Jdm89supra
03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry yes bow riser I have replaced all of the bunks this past winter even the bow riser. Even before replacement it hit. I think the only fix is to cut it off and change the angle and shift it back. This is the only thought I can come up with to fix it. By shifting it back it should go down in the water and not hit. And the other thing is by the time I get the boat off the trailer on our local ramp 3/4 of my 2500 Chevy crew.cab is in the water that's how drawn out the ramps are

rdlangston13
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
And the other thing is by the time I get the boat off the trailer on our local ramp 3/4 of my 2500 Chevy crew.cab is in the water that's how drawn out the ramps are

Sounds like our ramps. You open the driver door of the truck to go unlatch the now strap and your feet are in the water

Sent from my iPhone

haugy
03-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Sorry yes bow riser I have replaced all of the bunks this past winter even the bow riser. Even before replacement it hit. I think the only fix is to cut it off and change the angle and shift it back. This is the only thought I can come up with to fix it. By shifting it back it should go down in the water and not hit. And the other thing is by the time I get the boat off the trailer on our local ramp 3/4 of my 2500 Chevy crew.cab is in the water that's how drawn out the ramps are

Yep, you can move it back, or shave some height. But remember, that thing is there to support the bow weight. You do want the boat to rest on it. So it won't take much. If you have a gap when you are done, then it can bounce on the trailer and the bow is unsupported. Not that you have to worry about the boat snapping in half, but if it bounces or you jam hard on the brakes. All that weight and force is on those two small poles at the bow. Even with tie-downs that is not a good scenario.

Good luck.

Jdm89supra
03-27-2013, 05:25 PM
ok thanks haugy . one more question on this trailer as well when the boat is flat on the trailer all bunks tuching is the bow of this boat suppost to be tuching the two poles up front. as of right now I have 1.5 inches between the poles and the bow. im just trying to get this boat to be as snug on this trailer as possible concidering my other trailer is not the same this style trailer is new to me ive only had this boat for 8 months

haugy
03-27-2013, 08:39 PM
As for the bow poles, if they are that close you are good enough. The bow poles are to create a good stopping point for the boat when loading and underway on the road. The bow riser helps keep things from sliding forward along with the poles. If you are 1.5" away, if you hit the brakes it will make contact. But that's not enough room to build momentum and bend them. Unless you have a major wreck, and at that point you won't care.

Snug up against them or real close is fine with the bow poles. I wouldn't worry too much about that. The poles are basically (and why I love them) idiot proof. Push forward, make sure the nose is between them and keep going till you stop. Hook up the winch, and go. No rollers, no boat buddies, simple. I miss those trailers. :D

Salty87
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
when putting the boat back on the trailer, does the hull slide on the rear bunks first or is the bow riser the first to touch?

raising the rear bunks might be easier than taking some height off the bow riser. moving it back without lowering it will only make things worse.

as to the bow poles, is there anything holding them together? mine had a piece of metal welded between them. i must have come in too hot a time or 2. the boat spread the poles and that metal piece is no longer attached to the trailer. i try not to touch the poles anymore. (disclaimer, not the same boat/trailer)

Jdm89supra
03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
when putting the boat back on the trailer, does the hull slide on the rear bunks first or is the bow riser the first to touch?

raising the rear bunks might be easier than taking some height off the bow riser. moving it back without lowering it will only make things worse.

as to the bow poles, is there anything holding them together? mine had a piece of metal welded between them. i must have come in too hot a time or 2. the boat spread the poles and that metal piece is no longer attached to the trailer. i try not to touch the poles anymore. (disclaimer, not the same boat/trailer)

no my boat hits the bunks first then some how the bow right wher the gelcoat rolls under to the hull hits the bow riser and keeps scuffing the gelcoat and not I have a wrap and its taken the wrap off right their. the company I had it put on by has fixed it but now I don't want to put it in the water because the problem is still not fixed. I was wondering because I have finally seen a trailer like mine and the bow riser is a 3/4 in piece of plywood and mine is two 2/6 treated so their inlys the problem. im going to have to move the boat up on the trailer to wher it is touching the pols and put the 3/4 bunk in their to solve the problem.