PDA

View Full Version : Boat Paint

devovino
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Just putting it out there, my 87 Saltare is ready for a new exterior color, and am strongly considering painting it. Did the interior year one, and now would like to paint the outside to match. I have heard from some people that gel-coat is the only way to go, but I know there is are a few folks on here who have used paint, I am curious to know what they used, and how successful they were in applying it. Of course how it has held up over the years?
Time for a facelift, and I want to it do it correctly the first time, while doing a good job in the process! So there we have it, putting it out there for the masses to comment and provide feedback,

Thanks, Devon.

The boy
03-27-2013, 06:43 PM
we painted and it is working out just fine used ici paint
this is it before paint

BigCity444
03-27-2013, 10:51 PM
That looks incredible. I had to do a double take at the window to guess the year. How long ago did you paint it and what are some of the downsides? I'm thinking about it too just as divovino. Mine is looking more pink then wine red in the last few years. Ben can verify.

Jetlink
03-27-2013, 11:11 PM
That looks incredible. I had to do a double take at the window to guess the year. How long ago did you paint it and what are some of the downsides? I'm thinking about it too just as divovino. Mine is looking more pink then wine red in the last few years. Ben can verify.

Who's Ben? I bet yours is not worse than mine. Hey Derrick, give me a call. I might be up at the lake this weekend.

The boy
03-27-2013, 11:24 PM
not really a down side and did it about 6 years ago and most of the pics where from last year and its an 1989 sunsport. we get compliments form guys with newer boats and they say we copied them but it was one of the first green and black boats on the lake

devovino
03-29-2013, 12:07 PM
not really a down side and did it about 6 years ago and most of the pics where from last year and its an 1989 sunsport. we get compliments form guys with newer boats and they say we copied them but it was one of the first green and black boats on the lake

Yeah great work! I looked into Interlux paints, and called James Town Manufacturing to ask about it. It seems pretty cut and dry, its all in the prep work, then roll and tip it on the boat. Might start de-waxing the boat soon, and start sanding! Then you fill and dings/scratches, prime 2 coats on, then roll/tip the interlux on there, 2-3 coats. They can add color at the distributor, so that makes it a little easier!

Time to get to work on prep, and go from there. He said spraying the paint on there is SUPER dangerous, the aerosolized material is actually a nerve agent when in the air, and people have used it w/o a respirator, and gone home and died.... so I think I will stick to the roll and tip method!

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear it is still looking great!

bens250ex
03-29-2013, 12:43 PM
we painted and it is working out just fine used ici paint
this is it before paint

what is ici paint?

Salty87
03-29-2013, 01:00 PM
i've used interlux perfection before. awesome paint. painted my tower with it 4 or so years ago. it's outside in TX sun 24/7 and looks as good as the day i finished. very durable in addition to staying shiny. the prep, as always, is a pain. the paint goes on very well. i rolled and tipped too which was a little difficult with round tubing, joints, bottom side of the tubing...it still came out great.

one tip a read on iboats was that you can add a bunch of hardener to the last coat and end up with a glass-like finish. worked like a champ.

i bought from jamestown too. they have really good instructional info/videos.

devovino
04-02-2013, 03:40 PM
i've used interlux perfection before. awesome paint. painted my tower with it 4 or so years ago. it's outside in TX sun 24/7 and looks as good as the day i finished. very durable in addition to staying shiny. the prep, as always, is a pain. the paint goes on very well. i rolled and tipped too which was a little difficult with round tubing, joints, bottom side of the tubing...it still came out great.

one tip a read on iboats was that you can add a bunch of hardener to the last coat and end up with a glass-like finish. worked like a champ.

i bought from jamestown too. they have really good instructional info/videos.

Yeah it seemed like jamestown knew their stuff! Oddly, I was picturing you rolling/tipping your tower, that must have been tough! ANyways, I plan on starting prep soon as I get some other "honey do's" stuff done. Because aint nobody happy if momma aint happy! Will document my progress and steps for future reference!