PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please. 1998 Santera

up4boating
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
11954I'm looking at a 98 Santera with 600 hours on it. It appears to have been taken care of well. I wanted a walk through but for the price I'm willing to give it up ($16K).
I sold my 01 Mariah at the end of last season. The floors and stringers were starting to scare me and the wood in the seats was starting to deteriorate. I don't really do much behind the boat anymore. We pull the kids around on a tube once in a while or I might pull the old slalom out but rarely.
I have come to terms the fact that I just can't buy anything but an inboard. My last three have all been Supra's. 85 comp, 91 comp, 91 Mariah.
Questions: Is there any wood in a 98 Santera? Is 600 hours ok if the motor has had proper maintenance? does the Santera fall into the 99 and newer hull design even though it's a 98?
I was looking for an 03 or 04 Santera but they seem to be selling in the $30K plus range. It's hard to justify double the price for a couple year newr boat. Is there something that warrants the high price other than the walk through?
Thanks for any advice!!!
The pic is of my 91 Mariah. I thought you guys might get a kick out of how I store it. My truck just fits underneath.

kvand347
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
I can't speak to the value or hull design of a 98 Santera but you can be rest assured that it contains ZERO wood in it. Anything after 92 and you are all composite. 600 hrs means nothing if it was well taken care of. Our boats can go to 2000+ hrs if well taken care of.

Nice lift for the boat!

up4boating
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
That's great news!
Thanks!

haugy
03-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Well seeing how they didn't make the Santera in 1998, I'm curious about it's true age. My guess is it's really a 1999. Check the vin, the last two numbers will be the year it was made. Please let me know if I'm wrong. We all know how many cars are built in 2012 but labeled 2013. I'm curious to see about this one.

Going with that, it will be part of the new hull design class. All fiberglass.

I love the Santeras. Great riding boats for cruising or watersports. Very versatile and comfortable.

Have you sold the Mariah yet? That's a 10th anniversary edition. Nice.

up4boating
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
That's interesting. I'll take a look at the VIN when I go back and look at it Saturday. I thought I had seen other 98's for sale over the years but I may be mistaken.
I actually had a 10th anniversary comp first that I bought new. I regreted selling it until I found the Mariah. I just love the colors on the 10th anniversary boats. I sold the Mariah last fall.
Thanks for your advice!!

crystal waters
03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
love the storage idea you used for your Mariah. Wanted to do exactly the same for my conbrio but in the end I needed another 6 inches to clear underneath with my truck! so sad as it is an awesome solution!

up4boating
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks crystal. It was definitely a tight fit. I had some breathing room once I made the trailer tongue a swing type.
I was surprised how much wider a boat is then a car. Bendpack makes this marine specific lift. One ramp is movable so I can use it to put a car up when need be. I was glad that I went with 12' ceilings when I built my garage.

haugy
03-28-2013, 02:41 PM
I actually had a 10th anniversary comp first that I bought new.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcbd1vGDuD1qfx20p.gif

AND YOU SOLD IT!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! I'm without words........

Jetlink
03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcbd1vGDuD1qfx20p.gif

AND YOU SOLD IT WITHOUT LETTING ME KNOW FIRST!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! I'm without words........

Fixed it for you Haugy.

up4boating
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Lol!!! I know , I know. It was a beautiful boat.
I sold my comp to a friend. He may want to sell it back some day.