PDA

View Full Version : Engine & Driveshaft Alignment

suprasam
03-28-2013, 12:55 PM
My back two motor mount bushing are starting to crack. I know I should replace them now before season opens up......but that can be another topic. How can you tell if this is all in or out of alignment? Please dont tell me I need to buy some special $2000.00 alignment tool. Thanks for the help.

Jetlink
03-28-2013, 01:09 PM
My back two motor mount bushing are starting to crack. I know I should replace them now before season opens up......but that can be another topic. How can you tell if this is all in or out of alignment? Please dont tell me I need to buy some special $2000.00 alignment tool. Thanks for the help.

You don't need to buy some special $2,000.00 alignment tool. It's $3,000.00.

Just kidding, I haven't had to mess with it yet myself but I have a feeling it can't be that expensive to do.

SquamInboards
03-28-2013, 01:30 PM
No expensive tools required. Great discussion on alignment on CorrectCraftFan here (http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6037)

Basically you unbolt the coupler and adjust the engine mounts to make the mating surface of the coupler and transmission output flange line up perfectly flat against each other. You get them nearly touching and use a feeler gauge to make sure the gap is within .003 all around.

Salty87
03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
from skier's choice:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?2322-alignment-procedure&highlight=alignment%20procedure

suprasam
03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Ha....Jet it wouldn't suprise me, there aren't many things with boats cheap and especially Supra's.
Squamin.....Thanks for that link, about to head over there and do some reading!

I haven't tried yet.....but if my boat is on her trailer and in neutral should I be able to turn the shaft freely?

Thanks for the quick.....so far cheap help!

SquamInboards
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
You might need both hands, but yes you should be able to spin it. Water lubricates the strut bearing, so it has more resistance dry obviously.

docdrs
03-30-2013, 09:26 PM
its a 20 min procedure to check and 60min to dial it in to .002. search the moomba forum for how to pics and instructions. Do it once and your a pro at it. Some wrenches, feeler gauge, and a crowbar are all you need. Oh and something to support your tranny (a 4x4 or 4x6 and a chain will work). I posted a video on vdrive tranny bushing change some where.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?18481-Transmission-Mount-Bushing-Replacement&highlight=Bushing

csuggs
03-31-2013, 07:17 AM
I've done the alignment using feeler gauges, but I had better luck with a dial indicator which you can buy for around $50 at Harbor Freight. No need for a high-end dial indicator, unless you have a friend that already has one you can borrow. You will also need to get the magnetic base mount. Still it's an inexpensive item that I feel gives better results (or at least easier) for me . . . feeler gauges probably work fine for many people though.

docdrs
03-31-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm curious as to where you are placing the dial indicator. I can see this telling you if your shaft is bent but I'm trying to figure out how you can get a proper mating between the shaft and vdrive/tranny coupler with a dial indicator.

I've done the alignment using feeler gauges, but I had better luck with a dial indicator which you can buy for around $50 at Harbor Freight. No need for a high-end dial indicator, unless you have a friend that already has one you can borrow. You will also need to get the magnetic base mount. Still it's an inexpensive item that I feel gives better results (or at least easier) for me . . . feeler gauges probably work fine for many people though.

Jetlink
03-31-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm curious as to where you are placing the dial indicator. I can see this telling you if your shaft is bent but I'm trying to figure out how you can get a proper mating between the shaft and vdrive/tranny coupler with a dial indicator.

Would it matter if it was not a V-drive alignment but a direct drive instead? Only reason I ask is the obvious that you have a V-drive and Clint had a direct drive.