PDA

View Full Version : Installing New Rubber Exhaust Tube

suprasam
04-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Over the weekend I was installing my new exhaust tube that comes from the risers and goes to the metal tube. The tubes were 3inch, and on the port side it now has a bend or a partial fold in it. It's not round like it should be, and I am at a point of kicking the ever living crap out of it so I walked away from it. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do, or what I have done to it? Nothing as I know of has moved or been bent so I am at a loss of words for this POS! BTW can you tell I am still irritated at this thing!

SquamInboards
04-01-2013, 11:06 AM
The few times I've had the pleasure of replacing exhaust hoses, the manifolds and pipes into the floor did not line up perfectly, requiring the hoses to make a bit of a bend. The hoses are so stiff when cold that it's hard to get that bend just right, and you might have a crease at first. I have actually used my foot to force a hose into place, to get rid of a slight kink. Did you lubricate the inside of the hose to help slide it onto the manifolds and exhaust pipes? This can help the pipe slide a bit while you're wrestling with it. If you can warm it up with a heat gun (carefully!) then work on it a bit more, that might help even the bend out.

suprasam
04-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Yah I thought about warming them up........AFTER. I will try to get it off tonight, and warm it up......and I was an idiot and didn't lube so this is going to be a HUGE PIA to get off. It might be worth me just buying new and cutting these off to save me the pain of getting mad. HA by the way I love my boat!

suprasam
04-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Squam......I actually found a corrigated rubber exhaust that will work the small bend I need. Luckily I found it at a local shop (ProBoat - Woodstock, GA). So this will fix my issue! Thanks for the help!