PDA

View Full Version : another fuel question

Jdm89supra
04-02-2013, 10:51 PM
have a few questions and yes I have already searched for this problem. 89 supra with 351 and 20 gal tank. fuel gage when full reads 3/4 and when empty I don't know. never ran it empty. but I will say when the gage says empty their is still gas in the tank. how can I get the gage to read more accurate meaning full when its full. also when at half throttle to full throttle gage moves to the 1/4 tank mark and if you let out it moves back. second we went for a ride across the lake yesterday and burned way more fuel than normal 10 gal in an hour and a half at about 2500 - 2800 rpm just easing around. I checked the floats. they were a little off not much at all. changed points. plugs and fuel filter and cleaned the carb. is their anything else that I should check before taking it back out burning 10 gal in an hour and a half would murder my pocket. o yea I also checked timing its all good. also what type of gas millage should I get out of this motor

michael hunter
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I had the same issues with the fuel gauge on my 89 Sunsport when it was new. I replaced the fuel sending unit with a electronic unit from Centroid products 20 plus years ago. It works perfectly rock solid even in rough water and super accurate. It will also work with the oridanal dash gauge. www.centroidproducts.com
I have a 37 gal tank in my Sunsport I have never checked fuel useage but I know it will use a full tank if I pull hard all day.

Jdm89supra
04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
criky I will never take my boat to a mechanic again. last season I had a rebuild kit put on my carb just because I didn't have time to mess with it. after tinkering around I found that the jackleg that adusted the carb last season did it wrong. he bent my throttle positioning arm to adjust the air mixture instead of using the AIR MIXTURE screw. now I am worried that I have messed something else up. after further looking in to it I wound up just ordering the part. and I will adjust it from now on out. this exsplains my fuel consumption and starting issue.

Jdm89supra
04-04-2013, 07:17 PM
ok - I replaced a few parts on my carb and now I am getting white smoke in the carb. and black smoke out of the exaust. could this be due to all of the build up from where the guy bent the throttle linkage connecting arm forcing the butterflys shut on the rear two barrels on the carb. and when I say white smoke in carb I mean it is staying in the carb not poring out when you look down in it

lively
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
4160 holley ?

Jdm89supra
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
sorry didn't post what type 4160