PDA

View Full Version : Built on a Friday...

heydanniceshot
07-06-2006, 01:06 AM
I've got an '06 Launch 21V with about 22 hours on it. Anyone else run into any of these problems?

1.) Heater Switch Light keeps going out
2.) Plug on harness for wakeplate keeps coming loose - it doesn't snap together
3.) Leaking fluid from hydraulic pump for wakeplate
4.) Screws and bolts keep vibrating loose - EVERYWHERE. Tower bolts, heater control unit fell to my feet from under the dash, funny noise coming from under the steering wheel - found a random bolt or two on the floor, none of the hinges for the seats were tight.
5.) Pull out rear bench seat doesn't stay standing up if I pull it out. The bars don't adjust far enough back so it's unstable.
6.) Buzzing from the tower speakers if the blower motor is on.
7.) Trailer brake actuator doesn't work, no idea why it just randomly stopped working.
8.) Pump on left rear ballast tank fills, but doesn't empty
9.) Battery switch wired incorrectly. Doesn't do anything, power is always on (lucky I keep a tending charger on the boat at all times when it's docked!)
10.) Strut for left rear cushion went out, now I have to hold it up
11.) Flashlight doesn't work unless it's plugged in
12.) Running rough now. I checked all my fluid levels, connections, etc, but I couldn't find anything. It's just not running very smooth now. Probably a loose wire somewhere, who knows..

Anyone else run into this? SO FAR, none of it has been anything really major. My dealer (Gonnason Boats - Kent, WA) has been awesome about helping me out and getting it all fixed in a hurry, but I'm really tired of driving 75 miles to get my boat worked on every other week. Everytime I take this thing out I find another problem, tune in for next weeks warranty repair!

senna1
07-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Sorry to hear about your issues. While I generally agree that these aren't major problems, they're still unacceptable on an item at this price point. Hopefully Skier's Choice reads these posts and is taking someone to task.

I've just ordered an '07 21V from Gonnason's and I'm in Snohomish so they're a long drive for me too. I was hoping I wouldn't have to make it very often.

heydanniceshot
07-06-2006, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by senna1

Sorry to hear about your issues. While I generally agree that these aren't major problems, they're still unacceptable on an item at this price point. Hopefully Skier's Choice reads these posts and is taking someone to task.

I've just ordered an '07 21V from Gonnason's and I'm in Snohomish so they're a long drive for me too. I was hoping I wouldn't have to make it very often.

It'd be a lot harder to deal with if the boat wasn't so much damn fun.I sent Gonnason a long list of things I wanted checked out before I pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully this will be my last visit until winterization, but I'll keep you posted. I'm up in Arlington.

lowdrag
07-06-2006, 07:39 AM
I can't say that I've got the same problems as you but my '06 21V has it's own laundry list of things that have been or need to be fixed in addition to the vapor lock problems I mentioned in the other post. I agree the boat is a blast, but for what I spent on it, I find a lot of the minor things I've had to deal with unacceptable. On top of that, like you, I'm stuck with a pretty large gas bill for hauling this thing a substantial distance back and forth to the dealer to get things fixed. Just when I think the minor things have all been taken care of, something else seems to pop up. The other thing that annoys me is the recent lack of participation on the boards by Supra/Moomba reps. I used to give them props for getting involved here and on other sites when issues came up, but recently them seem to be AWOL when it comes to issues with their boats.

myturndad
07-06-2006, 09:42 PM
My ssv 22 must of been built during the mid week because i have already put 67 hrs on it this year and no problems with the exception of a few decals coming off which Skier's Choice has taken care of.

Hope your issues are taken care of.

Lowdrag, I agree with what you state about seeing reps of SC on their forum. Used to see them quit a bit on both supra/moomba sites addressing issues.

Hope they come back because I have always enjoyed getting feedback from them.

gmarkham1
07-07-2006, 12:48 AM
I have 50 hours on my 21v and havent had anything real terrible happen. the worst thing so far is the cover ripped, and the clip on the straps for the racks broke.

mdsmgu
07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I have owned my Gravity Games 24SSV Launch for 9 weeks, and it has had all of the same problems you list, I can give you more details on how to fix most of those problems, but in the end it is still a boat built on a Friday, and with my thoughts, too many hours of driving it back and forth to the dealer to fix, and not in the water. I agree mydealer is amazing, but Skier's Choice is in Last Place.

My boat is back at the factory being fixed, several things need to be recalled. The Wakeplate is not hooked up correctly with the lines, the same thing happend to me and oil went everywhere, it went back three times until they found the problem, and the electrical connection can be fixed, check the recall on this item for noice in the speakers also. It just came out a few weeks ago. My boat has been in 13 times in 9 weeks, I wish I would have purchased a boat that I could use in the water not look good on the trailer going back and forth to the dealer

07-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by mdsmgu

I have owned my Gravity Games 24SSV Launch for 9 weeks, and it has had all of the same problems you list, I can give you more details on how to fix most of those problems, but in the end it is still a boat built on a Friday, and with my thoughts, too many hours of driving it back and forth to the dealer to fix, and not in the water. I agree mydealer is amazing, but Skier's Choice is in Last Place.

My boat is back at the factory being fixed, several things need to be recalled. The Wakeplate is not hooked up correctly with the lines, the same thing happend to me and oil went everywhere, it went back three times until they found the problem, and the electrical connection can be fixed, check the recall on this item for noice in the speakers also. It just came out a few weeks ago. My boat has been in 13 times in 9 weeks, I wish I would have purchased a boat that I could use in the water not look good on the trailer going back and forth to the dealer

I've got pretty much everything fixed at this point. The left rear ballast tank still doesn't like to empty completely, the flashlight doesn't work, and I've still got an odd rattle under the dash, but I'm just plain f***ing tired of driving it back and forth to the dealer. Tige or Natique for me next time.

Just one more
07-14-2006, 01:46 AM
where do you fine these recall notices?

jsantos615
08-14-2007, 02:43 AM
bump

milner351
08-16-2007, 07:56 AM
after seeing the build quality in my '86 while restoring it, and reading these posts....

ya'll have me just about convinced that when I finally have the money to buy a new boat, it's not going to be a supra/moomba.

my '85 sunsport was a great boat (bought used in '94 sold in '97)
but I got it used and sold it before it had any rot problems.

Is supra still using wood anywhere in the construction of these boats?

ACF
08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't think they have used any wood since somewhere in the early 90's. I don't know that I would jump to a negative conclusion so quickly about the quality of these boats. When you read through enough of the posts, you will see there are many more people who love these boats than hate them. The main complaint I've seen about wood rot in the older boats, but most of the time, when you get down to it, these boats have been "rode hard and put away wet". Twenty plus years is a long time for any ride, and a boat is going to get wet through normal use, and if it is not taken care of, the wood parts will rot. Mine is a 88 Comp that has sat undisturbed and negelected for over 10 years. I am about ready to put the ole gal back in the water, and what has really impressed me is how good of shape this boat was once I cleaned off all the crud.

milner351
08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
You are probably right - it just really burns me to hear of quality problems in this day and age with 6 sigma, iso 14000, and the influx of japanese koreans and chinese into any and all manufacturing sectors.

When will our fellow Americans understand the importance of quality and take pride in their own workmanship?

OK - off the soapbox.

Boats are much more sensitive to care than cars.

Boats that sit in the water for example, not on a trailer or in a boat lift are going to be much worse off. My '85 sunsport had to float all summer - I had no $$ for a lift - so I had to make sure the batteries were always charged and the bilge auto function worked properly.

I've been on this lake now only 3 years - there are several nautiques, a few mastercrafts, malibus, 1 or 2 moombas, and about 4 supras of the newer vintage, with probably 3-4 supras like ours.

The boats vary widely in condition and care. One lawyer just spent $$ for a new interior in his malibu - and routinely lets it sit uncovered. A friend with a '95 nautique wipes it down each and every time he puts it on his lift and his boat with over 770 hours literally looks new.

I just hope Supra / Moomba will get their act together - on an item priced this high and with the invaluable leisure time of customers hanging in the balance - they'd better get it done right - quick.

jsantos615
10-17-2007, 11:57 PM
You are probably right - it just really burns me to hear of quality problems in this day and age with 6 sigma, iso 14000, and the influx of japanese koreans and chinese into any and all manufacturing sectors.

When will our fellow Americans understand the importance of quality and take pride in their own workmanship?

OK - off the soapbox.

Boats are much more sensitive to care than cars.

Boats that sit in the water for example, not on a trailer or in a boat lift are going to be much worse off. My '85 sunsport had to float all summer - I had no $$ for a lift - so I had to make sure the batteries were always charged and the bilge auto function worked properly.

I've been on this lake now only 3 years - there are several nautiques, a few mastercrafts, malibus, 1 or 2 moombas, and about 4 supras of the newer vintage, with probably 3-4 supras like ours.

The boats vary widely in condition and care. One lawyer just spent $$ for a new interior in his malibu - and routinely lets it sit uncovered. A friend with a '95 nautique wipes it down each and every time he puts it on his lift and his boat with over 770 hours literally looks new.

I just hope Supra / Moomba will get their act together - on an item priced this high and with the invaluable leisure time of customers hanging in the balance - they'd better get it done right - quick.

I agree! Since you're in Belleville, your statement is even more poignant, since you're most likely boating on Ford or Belleville Lake, which exist because of a Ford Motors Facility (insert comment on the decline of the American manufacturing sector here).

My frustration with quality glitches doesn't lie with the service provided by my dealer and the Skiers Choice Rep (they have tried very hard to take care of me); it lies with the fact the 1) The Michigan boating season in really short and 2) Supras are marketed and priced as Premium Luxury Ski Boats (see the badges on the seats!). While they are priced below Nautiques and Mastercrafts, they are tauted as "more boat for the money". Does "more boat" include quality, as well? I LOVE my Supra, however it troubles me to think that after really spending 4 total months in the water (mine is docked) and having less than 50 hours on the engine, I'm having glitches that I wasn't expecting to deal with for at least a few seasons. Could you imagine buying an Acura and having to take it back to the dealer every 10 days, on average for the first 4 months of use?