PDA

View Full Version : + battery terminal extremely hot

awesomesteven
04-06-2013, 06:42 PM
What could cause the + cable and terminal to get really hot when trying to turn the boat on? I tried citing it a few times then disconnected it and put the screw that holds the battery cable to the terminal on top of the battery and itmelted straight through it!

I should mention I have a 60amp breaker and I cleaned all my cables.

What cause this to happen? Bad starter?

michael hunter
04-06-2013, 07:42 PM
You are pulling too much amperage through your cables . Possible causes cables old and internally corroded or bad starter.
What year is your boat?

Salty87
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
resistance. this boat has been on the wrong side of the surface? time for new cables if they haven't been replaced already. to test, bend them into a tight U. if they crackle and pop they're done.

did you clean/tighten your ground terminal on the engine block?

awesomesteven
04-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the help. It ended up that one of the cables was bad - made a crackling sound when I bent it.

mgerbos
04-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Had the same issue with my old boat. Turns out it was the starter. Terminals got so hot they burned my fingers.

awesomesteven
04-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Anyone know where I can get the cable that runs from the battery to the solenoid on the back of the engine? I've looked in a coulpe of places but seems pricy.

Salty87
04-09-2013, 10:47 AM
i've used these guys before

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine%...ttery%20Cable/

i got 0 gauge and had them add battery terminals on the ends. it's marine grade, mechanical crimp, heat shrinked...really nice. not sure how the price compares.