PDA

View Full Version : New Supra owner!

Zim
04-07-2013, 12:51 AM
What's up fellas... thought I'd join up here to get some help in my future endeavors of the boat I just bought. Picked up a 2006 20ssv with perfect pass, heater, ballast, tower, full stereo, wake plate, docking lights, interior lights.. basically loaded. Got a killer deal on the boat because the previous owner, who was the original owner, bought it for his kid who just neglected it. I finally had a chance to clean it up today since the weather cooperated. It still needs a few things to be up to my standards. I need to replace one of the ballast bumps (I think), it might be wiring or connections, haven't gotten that far yet. Also, the heater works on high, but not low. Needs a solid buff/polish/wax above the rub rail. Could use it below the rail too, but that at least looks decent. The guy before me apparently parked it in his dock with no fenders, so one of the sides is all scraped up and will need some gel-coat repair. The nose also has a couple big chips taken out of it from running into docks drunk (retard). Needs a little work, but I picked this thing up for half of what it's worth. Has 520 hours, and overall it's decent, just needs some elbow grease.

Anyway, thought I'd say what's up and introduce myself. Here's a couple pictures after I cleaned it today. The carpet was disgusting, seats dirty as all hell, and leaves everywhere in the boat. Sad to see someone neglect something so nice. It found a good home though, I'll be taking care of her. Can't wait to get behind it!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3337_zps6c09052f.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3336_zpsa55d8146.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3335_zpsf7276e8e.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3338_zpsb12a9e69.jpg

michael hunter
04-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Welcome to the family. Nice looking rig .It looks like you are well on the way to bringing her back to her prime.

Kma4444
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Very Nice!!! Happy to see another Supra being taken care of. It's a shame to see one not so old so neglected. Have fun!!

Zim
04-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Very Nice!!! Happy to see another Supra being taken care of. It's a shame to see one not so old so neglected. Have fun!!

Yeah, it's amazing how people just let something like this rot. Worked out for me though, as this was a sub 20k dollar boat thanks to the neglect.

Ptownkid
04-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Under 20k....oh wow...jealous is an understatement!!!

Zim
04-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Can someone explain what the difference between a sunsport 20v and a launch is? Are they one in the same?

Ptownkid
04-07-2013, 11:33 AM
No...and i believe it's the walkthough to the bough that is the difference.

DAFF
04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
The 20V came in three configurations for the 2006 line up. The Sunsport 20V (which you have), Launch 20V and the Launch 20ssv. More less all three hulls are the same other than the colour and options in the boat. It was the second smallest in the line up for 2006, with all the options of the larger boats. IMO it was a great deal and will be a great all around budget boat.

Anyone who is looking for a boat this is the way to do it. Sometimes it is nice to buy something perfect but with perfection comes a premium price. Looking beyond the dirt, grime and neglect stands a beautiful boat. Enjoy!!

Alexoag
04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
NICE!! it doesn't take much to bring it back to life....great buy! im telling you right now you can save a butt load of money if you redo those seats in the back your self. iv redone my whole interior this winter from scratch and had no previous sewing skills at all...just watched some youtube videos and grabed an old sewing machine and went for it and couldn't be happier on the result.

Ptownkid
04-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Not everyone is confident enough to tackle interiors...you did a great job though.

Alexoag
04-07-2013, 07:28 PM
yea just trying to inspire people to be confident...it can really save some money and really isn't that hard...i screwed up because i should have made a video of doing a seat and posted it on here. i bet 50% of the people that need interior work done would tackle it then. thank you for the compliment by the way.

kvand347
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Welcome to the forum Zim! Glad to hear you got a deal and take care of your toys. What a difference it makes when it's your money and not given to you!

sybrmike
04-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Cangrats on the new-to-you rig & welcome. Sounds like an awesome deal & looks like you've already got a great start on her - you'll have her all cleaned up in no time.

jasun
04-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Welcome! Like everyone else has said, you got a great deal and you'll be happy with it!

beat taco
04-08-2013, 01:44 AM
Yes you stole it alright, I remember the Craigslist ad. So you going to keep her for a while now? I know you're an MC guy, just wondering if the Supra won you over :)

Anyways thanks for sharing it cleaned up great, wasn't there a small gel coat repair needed?

chris young
04-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Alexoag, which videos did you watch? I'm planning on doing mine. I have a solid sewing maching and have been doing my own sail repairs (windsurfing) and canvas bags etc for years, but I thought boat vinyl might be a bit too tough for my machine.

haugy
04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
WOW Sub 20k? That's awesome. Great color combo. Take your time fixing up the little things, just don't forget to get out and enjoy it this summer too.

Alexoag
04-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Chris i have a link on my other post for the videos under "pride and joy" if your doing canvas with your machine it will work great for marine vinyl. just make sure you have a big needle in there and the website i used to order everything and i mean everything was http://veada.com/marine-vinyl-boat-upholstery.html they are great to work with

mgerbos
04-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi Zim,

Welcome. Always great to have new members. If I am not mistaken I remember seeing your thread on the WakeWorld discussion a few months back. Correct me if I am wrong but some guy (not Zim) posted the Craig's list ad on the forum and planned to buy it but had not yet paid for it. Then all heck ensued. All of a sudden like 10 guys jumped at the chance to grab the boat. Actually got quiet funny watching the guys stubble over each other to see who was going to end up with the boat. I guess you were the lucky winner. I must say that was a great buy. Hope you keep it. And congradulations I know it became quiet a storm of activity on the WakeWorld forum.

beat taco
04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I think it was something like that, guy posts deal of lifetime on wakeworld and heads out of town on a ski vacation. Very entertaining. Zimme stumbled onto the ww post after he bought it, he's a TT regular.

Ptownkid
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I think it was something like that, guy posts deal of lifetime on wakeworld and heads out of town on a ski vacation. Very entertaining. Zimme stumbled onto the ww post after he bought it, he's a TT regular.

Here is the hilarity..

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796871&highlight=2006+supra

I know Zimme did not find the boat on WW, but I would NEVER post ALL the details of a deal like that until it was done...and again, jealous, huge score.

Zim
04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Here is the hilarity..

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796871&highlight=2006+supra

I know Zimme did not find the boat on WW, but I would NEVER post ALL the details of a deal like that until it was done...and again, jealous, huge score.
Yeah that guy wasn't happy. Oh well I had the money and he didn't haha. I'm still not sure if I'll keep this. I want to because of how good of a deal it was so we'll see. I also have an old MC stars and stripes which I love. If I keep this this MC will get sold. I really do like the boat though. I ended up paying a little more than the $16,500 the guy was asking. I spent another grand to get bumped to the front of the line. Tough cchoice here...flip and make money or keep and enjoy my great deal. I'm leaning towards keeping it... the build quality of this boat is every bit as good as the MC's of the era. Plus, this boat is said to handle rough water well and it has lots of options. It does have some gel coat repair that needs to be done and obviously the interior will need help soon.. otherwise there's not much to do! Ill post more pics when I get home.

Zim
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Zim, keep the pics coming. Congrats on the new purchase. Nicely done!!

I must say, this was my first visit to WW forum reading the above link and I don't think I will return. I couldn't tell who was more of a spoiled brat? The previous owner of your boat or Boarder42 because he didn't get it. I would conclude the latter after reading his messages.
I present my argument.

1. "I closed on a boat worth $20k more than I paid while drinking a beer boarding down the slopes at Keystone." (Spelling Corrected)
2. "Rather than just saying sorry, sell me your MC for 120% under blue book." (Spelling Corrected)
3. "Hopefully the boat falls apart on you. D bag."
4. "Boat better never show up on my lake or I'll get you banned. Have fun trucking the Asian truck to the lake every weekend. By the time I'm 29 I won't be sniping boats but have fun trying to keep it you can't afford it."

Remember earlier he said:
5. "gonna throw some cash down as good faith and show a preapproved loan... if the boat checks out we close on monday."

Funny to me is...I guess his bank account isn't as big as his mouth, but he knows exactly what everyone else can afford.

Anyway Zim, glad you got it!! Welcome to Supra.

Haha thanks. Yeah that kid was pretty emotional that day, and apparently the beer didn't help. Oh well, he'll grow up one day (maybe).

Ptownkid
04-08-2013, 04:28 PM
As much as he came off as a total douche...he did come back and apologize for his drunken ranting.

Zim
04-08-2013, 05:16 PM
As much as he came off as a total douche...he did come back and apologize for his drunken ranting.

Yeah he did... I don't really fault the kid.

SupraLaunch21V
04-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Zim, first of all welcome to the forum. You don't see that kind of WW stuff on here, that's why I like the site. Great boat, great buy, now go enjoy the fruits of your labor. Hope the weather warms up over there so you can enjoy some time behind your boat. I love mine. . . Supra

JY

Zim
04-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Zim, first of all welcome to the forum. You don't see that kind of WW stuff on here, that's why I like the site. Great boat, great buy, now go enjoy the fruits of your labor. Hope the weather warms up over there so you can enjoy some time behind your boat. I love mine. . . Supra

JY

Appreciate it... I hope it warms up too! We had a 75* day today, and by Thursday it'll be in the 40's. This winter blows. I was out boating this time last year!

Here's my other ride. Sadly this will probably have to go since I got the "upgrade". Love this boat though:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/water3.jpg

supraaddict
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm a little late to the game but welcome to the forum! Both of your vessels are nice. I love the old Stars and Stripes Mastercrafts. Do you ever get to Bull Shoals lake in AR by chance?

Zim
04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm a little late to the game but welcome to the forum! Both of your vessels are nice. I love the old Stars and Stripes Mastercrafts. Do you ever get to Bull Shoals lake in AR by chance?

I've not been to Bull Shoals. I usually head to Table Rock on the busy weekends. Love riding from Missouri into Arkansas on that lake. That stretch is so nice.

here's some more pictures:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3343_zps55f3774f.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3336_zpsa55d8146.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3334_zpscc428c7a.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG_3346_zpsd5acd0fe.jpg

DAFF
04-10-2013, 12:19 AM
Reminds me of today.... Saw a very cheap Doral Cavalier on Kijiji last evening. Owner said he had a guy comming around 12:00 noon. I replied by thats a shame I work at 12:30 but could be there around 11am. As we are shaking hands on the deal the other guy pulls into the drive. He gets out of the truck with a full survey kit including a moisture probe and step ladder to climb into the boat.

I laugh at myself thinking this guy is way too professional not to be the marine buisness. "Sorry its sold" replies the owner. He did not take it very well. As soon as I saw the boat I could hardly contain myself. It was way underpriced to the point of the trailer was worth more than the asking. In fact I never even took the winter wrap off the boat. I climed inside, looked in the cuddy and opened the engine hatch. Nothing nicer than a unmolested engine compartment which is dry clean and still smells fresh in the spring.

Best of all the boat is blue and white to match the Launch !!!

Zim
04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
What's up with some of my posts needing moderator approval??

Ptownkid
04-10-2013, 08:52 AM
I imagine it's because you're new and have a low post count. There was a horrible amount of spam a few months ago.

Zim
04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
I imagine it's because you're new and have a low post count. There was a horrible amount of spam a few months ago.

Kinda what I figured. Only seems to happen when I post a picture. I wonder what the post count is to get rid of that little 'feature'.

Ptownkid
04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
No idea...just keep posting and I'm sure it will go away soon.

sunmingxing03
04-11-2013, 10:34 AM
It's a shame to see one not so old so neglected. Have fun!!