PDA

View Full Version : Wetsounds WS-420 Equilizer Option and Stereo Issues

mgerbos
04-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Hey Gang,

Just bought a 2008 21V a few months ago and just got it out of storage. Was pretty bummed to find out that when I turned on the stereo I could not get any sound out of any of the speakers. I am by no means an audio expert so I wasn't sure what the issue was as the stereo worked perfectly prior to putting the boat in storage. I took the boat back to the mechanic that winterized and stored the boat yesterday and he took a look at it. I remember at the time the boat was winterized he told me that I had a blown amp and asked me if I just wanted him to remove it and I said yes.

I think what happened is that they somehow disconnected the good amp while removing the bad amp. I believe that got the issue fixed I should know more today.

The whole reason why I started this thread is that I thought the Wetsounds WS-420 equilzer was missing. Now I am wondering if it was ever there or if I am somehow confusing it with one of the other boats I looked at right before buying the boat I did buy. So my question is was the Wetsounds WS-420 an option on the 2008 21V? Is there any way to tell if the boat did come with that equilizer? Thanks guys.

McDye
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Hey Gang,
So my question is was the Wetsounds WS-420 an option on the 2008 21V? Is there any way to tell if the boat did come with that equilizer? Thanks guys.

Not a factory option, it could have been a dealer addon.

Wylietunes
04-08-2013, 01:44 PM
As Mcdye stated, the WS-420 would not have been a factory SC option, but could have been installed by the dealer/stereo shop or by the previous owner. If it was done in a very custom manor, you would have a 1" x 7" hole where it was. if it was a basic install using the provided L bracket to secure it to the underside of the helm, then you would have 4 RCA cable sets and a wire power harness left dangling.

If an amp was removed, good or bad, any speakers it was driving would not longer function. Depending on how the remote turn-on circuit was wired, other amps may also not power up with the one amp out of the system.

I might suggest that you seek the assistance of a shop with 12V marine audio experience. You may have a bad amp, but its failure may be a symptom and not the root cause. Something external of the amp may have caused its untimely death.

mgerbos
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can't see any holes and definitely no RCA cable sets which makes me believe I mixed up my Supra with one of the other ones I was looking at. I also agree with you on the second paragraph best I could tell the amps somehow were not getting power. The led would not light. I don't know for sure but I believe the remote turn-on was wired thru the bad amp as well. The reason being is that I noticed several wires were now wrapped in electrical tape.

So with that said is it necessary to keep the bad amp in the boat to get all the speakers to function properly? Is it somehow using that bad amp as some type of a bridge? The reason why I ask is that all the speakers functioned properly prior to the bad amp being removed.

Wylietunes
04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
The remote turn-on from the head-unit may have gone to the bad amp first, then daisy-chained to the next. If all the speakers were functioning before the amp was removed, then its either not bad or is was not part of the system, but just there. Thats strange. Hard to say without having more details about the entire system, but getting it back up and running will need to be the first thing. Then you can evaluate what works and what doesn't, etc.