PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Supra La Brisa - any information?

Kickflip66
04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I just stumbled over an add on Craigslist of someone selling his 1994 Supra La Brisa open bow/walk through.

Everything sounds good so far and I will check it out on the weekend. It is still winterized.

Does one of you guys own one and would like to share some information with us on this boat?
The good, the bad?
How does it ride with 4-6 adults in it?

The most important thing I need to know is the material of the stringers. Is a 94 still wood or already composite?
It has got a rounded windscreen, which is supposed to be an indicator for composite (so I have read somewhere). Any way I can check the material when inspecting the boat?

What advice can you give me when inspecting it? What to look for?

Thanks so much!

DAFF
04-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Good:

Composite construction, perhaps some wood in the interior but mostly composite. Will drive like a Ferrari on the lake.

Bad:

I think it is a modern equivilant to the Conbrio or a open bow Comp. I think it is based on a 20' platform but will be cramped with any more than 4 adults. Will scoop water over the bow too.

Have a look at the boat and inspect the simple stuff. Wiring is a good indication of basic condition of the boat. If it is neat and tidy typicially the boat has been well cared for. Also dive the rudder area a good look over and watch for repairs or play in the rudder itself. Good luck in your search.

Kickflip66
04-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Hey thanks DAFF!

haugy
04-12-2013, 09:46 AM
About the same size as a Comp, but a bit taller free-board.
All composite hull and stringers.
Good chance you can get the 351 with HO heads.

Watch this video to see one in action:

http://youtu.be/8spvQ2LvuJw

bens250ex
04-12-2013, 10:04 AM
About the same size as a Comp, but a bit taller free-board.
All composite hull and stringers.
Good chance you can get the 351 with HO heads.

Watch this video to see one in action:

http://youtu.be/8spvQ2LvuJw

Haha I almost considered buying that boat last year.

Kickflip66
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
What made you not buy it?

Kickflip66
04-12-2013, 10:16 AM
I like how it looks like in the video. Is the 94 the same boat as the 96 in the video?

Is there nobody on this forum who owns one of the La Brisas?

haugy
04-12-2013, 11:27 AM
They are the same. Maybe a few switches in the dash different, but essentially the exact same boat.

La Brisas were not mass produced like the others. So they aren't as common. Plus, most who got that size (20') went with the comp for skiing. If they wanted to be higher out of the water they went with the bigger classes (Sunsport, Saltare). It's a great boat, just caught right in the middle of two size classes.

crystal waters
04-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Test drove one for a few days years back. I own a conbrio so know about water over the bow ( or not if you drive it right) .
This boat sits higher so not as big a threat for water over the bow. The wake behind it is unreal for waterskiing----couldn't get over it!
This is a composite boat!
Design is a bit more conservative than the comp /conbrio / mariah etc.
If you are okay with the design from that point of view then great.
I was very impressed with it overall!

Kickflip66
04-12-2013, 12:53 PM
The owner is asking $9000 for it.
I will check it out tomorrow.

What do you guys think about the price? Nadaguide Max value is around 8k.

crystal waters
04-12-2013, 01:12 PM
how many hours on it? do the hours shown appear to match the condition of the boat? Is the owner a fanatic for keeping things in shape etc--does it show on the boat? how is the interior (can be costly to repair) . how is the gel coat re scratches etc , the rub rails. Whnat condition is the trailer in ? tandem or single axle?
above all else always insist on a compression check of the cylinders! Saved myself from a big mistake one time on that one alone!!!!
Times are tough---- ask him what he really wants to get out of it ? you might be surprised.

crystal waters
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
perhaps this may give you a bit of an idea

1996 Supra La Brisa 20
by admin on Tuesday, January 24th, 2012 | No Comments

Year: 1996
Price: Can$ 9,500
(US$9,305)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One owner Supra La Brisa, shaft drive, Okanagan Lake owned and serviced, nice deep hull for safety and smooth ride, cockpit heater,compass, tilt, CD stereo, PCM GT 40 Engine, tandem custom trailer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fuel
Hull Material
Beam
Draft Board/Drive Up
Dry Weight
Max Seating Capacity
Engine Make
Engine Model
Engine Year
Fuel Capacity
Length Overall
Number of Engines
: Gas/Petrol
Fiberglass
7 ft 6 in
1 ft 10 in
2600 lb
PCM
GT40 MPI Fuel Injected
32 gal
21 ft 5 in

Kickflip66
04-12-2013, 01:48 PM
how many hours on it? do the hours shown appear to match the condition of the boat? Is the owner a fanatic for keeping things in shape etc--does it show on the boat? how is the interior (can be costly to repair) . how is the gel coat re scratches etc , the rub rails. Whnat condition is the trailer in ? tandem or single axle?
above all else always insist on a compression check of the cylinders! Saved myself from a big mistake one time on that one alone!!!!
Times are tough---- ask him what he really wants to get out of it ? you might be surprised.

Here is the text from the add:
this is a 1994 supra la brisa it is in great condition it has been very well taken care of. has a 5.7 v-8 engine it has been stored in a barn the past two winters. i am the second owner. when we got it some of the seats had some tears so we had a couple peices of vinal redone and had the swimboard resurfaced. it has a nice radio with auxillary input and usb output to charge your phone or ipod. i love this boat the only reason i am selling it is i need money for a car. all of the pictures were taken with the cover still on, in the barn. it has an open bow. goes 50 + mph removable face on the radio and it has two covers because the original one was repelling water too well so we got another one to help it. over all a great boat, very powerful and great for pulling tubers or skiiers. awesome hang out boat. $9000

These are answers on my questions:

*Approx. 300 hours

Do you have records of maintenance? Yes, marina winterized each year, new starter two years back, misc., small stuff. We even refurbished some of the Vynil. I’m sure the Marina could be contacted and a testimonial provided regarding the service and care.*

Single axle trailer.

Question: Did you perform the compression test yourself or did you bring it to a shop for that?

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

crystal waters
04-12-2013, 02:03 PM
In every instance I had the seller deliver to the mechanic of my choice ( I had to search one out several times ) and at my cost had it done. ie :local marina where it was serviced. So if you like everything on it etc and settle on a price simply make it subject to compression test at your expense-seller to deliver to mechanic for testing. It was the cheapest money I ever spent and said goodbye to ---turned out it had a cracked block!
Probably has the GT-40 pcm engine (visible on the engine cover) which is an awesome engine. Lots of power.
Re the vinyl----did they match the exisiting or not ( I am fussy) . If not to me that is a detriment as I would want it done right to match. So if some was done then pay great attention to the rest for cracking , seams splitting etc. Lift the seats and turn them over etc.
Doubt the boat does 50 +---nice hull and engine --maybe 46 /47 tops!
Cover is not a biggee --can get a new mooring cover for $300.00 if need be, custom to the model.
tandem axle trailer new is about 1500 to 1800 more than single axle.The ad I sent you was a tandem axle.
The ad was from a local dealer who took it in on trade so you know he didnt give that much on trade as he needs his margin for resale.
look it over very carefully--has it be beached?? ( wear/scrape marks under hull) how is prop and struts?
I really like this model personally but just make sure you get a good one!

bens250ex
04-13-2013, 12:03 PM
What made you not buy it?

I was in the middle of a stringer restoration at the time

Kickflip66
04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Hey guys,

Looked at the boat today in the rain. The hull looks really good, engine as well, minor damages on the interior which is to be expected for that age.

Owner agreed to compression test and test drive before we make a deal.

What are the expected pressure values of the compression test? I know the rule of thumb is they should not be more than 10% apart.

What to look for on a test drive?

Any help is appreciated!

crystal waters
04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
somewhere between 120 and 135. be concerned if you start to see more than 15 variance between cylinders.
Best to do this when engine is warm.

jthack
06-05-2013, 06:14 PM
hello,
i'm late to the thread......did you buy the boat? i have a 95 la brisa....bought last spring...it's been tough to find much info or many other owners, but we think the boat is great.
if you bought it, we can compare notes.
james

Cusefan78
06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
I just bought a 95. Has 450 hours on it. I have a book of every service ever done on it. The previous owner didnt own a wrench so he had everything done. I just installed a new stereo system in it and had my mechanic go through it. I have had it out a few times and love it. I'm coming from a baja so getting used to the way it drives has been an experience. I have to say that I love this boat and I'm very satisfied. Originally I bought it to see if I would like an inboard with the intentions of buying a new one next year. I have decided that I'm going to keep this boat around for a while. It's fast does around 50 and handles extremely well Except the backing up thing which I'm still getting used to. Anyways good luck and I would highly recommend it.