PDA

View Full Version : New member, bought 86 Supra with 454 and 90 ORIGINAL hours

rono
04-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Know enough to get in trouble. I bought this 86 23 foot supra from someone I know and having had boats I figured it would be ruined for sitting many years. I know the owner and he takes great care of stuff. left it outside a couple years but with a custom cover. After I got boat home I was surprised. It is really nice. I did not change the oil yet cause I cant find the drain tube, but oil looks good. I charged the battery and it turned over. I took the plugs out and turned it over intermittently for a while. I drained the fuel and put new fuel filter on. I put new plugs in and removed points. I have not tried to start it yet. I reckon I will go to a boat shop to buy points cap and condensor on Monday. Just seeking general advice to keep me from screwing something up.

2500HD
04-14-2013, 10:58 AM
if the impeller was left in the water pump your gonna need one of those. when left in it's housing for a long time with out use the rubber will stick to the side and tear all the fins off. Also your boat probably doesn't have a drain tube so you will need to get a pump to suck the oil out through the dipstick opening. Have fun with it, send some pics and enjoy your new saltare.

rono
04-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Know enough to get in trouble. I bought this 86 23 foot supra from someone I know and having had boats I figured it would be ruined for sitting many years. I know the owner and he takes great care of stuff. left it outside a couple years but with a custom cover. After I got boat home I was surprised. It is really nice. I did not change the oil yet cause I cant find the drain tube, but oil looks good. I charged the battery and it turned over. I took the plugs out and turned it over intermittently for a while. I drained the fuel and put new fuel filter on. I put new plugs in and removed points. I have not tried to start it yet. I reckon I will go to a boat shop to buy points cap and condensor on Monday. Just seeking general advice to keep me from screwing something up.

Probably need practice on forum format. But thank you sounds just right

2500HD
04-14-2013, 11:32 AM
For future reference if an engine has sat for a long period i would recommend doing a prelube on each cylinder by removing the spark plug and pouring some oil in each cylinder. That way it doesn't start completely dry and it can also break loose any binding between the cylinder wall and piston ring.

skiman_61
04-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Bag the points and put in an electronic ignition conversion kit. You'll be much happier, I think. There may be a hose attached the the bottom of your oil pan for drainage. Otherwise you will hafta pump it out as indicated above.

Post some pics!

DAFF
04-14-2013, 03:07 PM
For future reference if an engine has sat for a long period i would recommend doing a prelube on each cylinder by removing the spark plug and pouring some oil in each cylinder. That way it doesn't start completely dry and it can also break loose any binding between the cylinder wall and piston ring.

At this point of the game oil is your friend. Get ready to pull the alt, starter, carb and water pump. I would remove and have these items rebuilt or replaced with new. Nothing more fustrating than loosing a simple item on the first few voyages. Also inspect the intake side of the cooling system and make sure all the hoses are tight and the strainer is free of debris. when you hit the water for the first time have a cooling hose running to the manifold removed to insure you are getting water through the engine. There should be a torent of water comming from the hose within seconds of start up. If not the impellar on the external water pump is working backwards. (This is very EZ to do I did it too) You need to remove the pump and the hoses and re install with the hoses reversed.

Pictres are a must!!

CornRickey
04-14-2013, 04:35 PM
I'd pull the carb and clean out th bowls. Clean the crud out of them instead of clogging up the circuits.

rono
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
At this point of the game oil is your friend. Get ready to pull the alt, starter, carb and water pump. I would remove and have these items rebuilt or replaced with new. Nothing more fustrating than loosing a simple item on the first few voyages. Also inspect the intake side of the cooling system and make sure all the hoses are tight and the strainer is free of debris. when you hit the water for the first time have a cooling hose running to the manifold removed to insure you are getting water through the engine. There should be a torent of water comming from the hose within seconds of start up. If not the impellar on the external water pump is working backwards. (This is very EZ to do I did it too) You need to remove the pump and the hoses and re install with the hoses reversed.

Pictres are a must!!

All of the advice was great. I gonna do it all.

rono
04-14-2013, 08:22 PM
do I just go to a marina and tell them I want electronic ignition.

tg0824SSVGG
04-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Skidim.com. look around on the site or call them. Great site, smart people. :-)

Salty87
04-15-2013, 09:49 AM
i'd get it running with points again. adding a mod before then might complicate any trouble shooting.

get a tune-up kit...cap, rotor, points, condensor. i have a nautique dealer nearby that stocks them. nautique's run PCM engines so they can be handy in a pinch when you don't feel like waiting on delivery. otherwise, i agree about skidim.

skiman_61
04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
do I just go to a marina and tell them I want electronic ignition.

Check your distributor for make and model number. Should be a tag on the base if memory serves. Use that info to order replacement parts online from a number of sources. Summit Racing being one. Discount inboard is another, very helpful staff there.

www.skidim.com

skiman_61
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Nobody has told him to check the engine mounts/ bolts on an '86 model yet? Even with 90 hours, who knows what condition they are in. First thing I would check.

Also, will need rudder and shaft packing if nobody mentioned that either. Order that from Skidim as well. Good luck and welcome.

We didn't want to steal your thunder, ngavdba. ;-).

The gist of all this is that you need to take a look at everything that moves, stem to stern and scrutinize it. So long as we're at it, I'd recommend looking at the tires and the hubs. If the tires are older than six years or so, their life is about over. Personal experience. I had some that were as supple as new on the outside, but dry rotted from the inside out. I had to see it to believe. You want to check the grease in your hubs before you take it any distance. No fun smoking a bearing on the highway.

skiman_61
04-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Oh, and welcome to the forum. Post some photos when you get a chance.