PDA

View Full Version : electronic ignition

rono
04-15-2013, 08:06 AM
Can someone please tell me: exactly what to order and where to change my points to electronic. I would need dist cap and whatever. I saw one on amazon for $96 but not sure if it is right. I have a 1986 soltaire with 454. Or does Auto Zone have one......
I have not figured out how to put my picture on the profile yet.

inair
04-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Go to Discount Inboard Marine. They have a great web site and their phone # is listed. When you call a real person answers the phone. Just tell them what you are interested in doing. They will happily tell you anything you want to know. Great folks with lots of knowledge and experience.

rono
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
Go to Discount Inboard Marine. They have a great web site and their phone # is listed. When you call a real person answers the phone. Just tell them what you are interested in doing. They will happily tell you anything you want to know. Great folks with lots of knowledge and experience.

Thank you for the help

wotan2525
04-15-2013, 09:37 AM
You need the marine conversion (if you want to do this right.) I believe skidim sells them for $200-$300.

I installed a regular automotive distro that was HEI. It was around $60 but not everyone is completely comfortable running a distro that isn't sealed and protected against spark.

Salty87
04-15-2013, 09:58 AM
i mentioned this in the other thread but i'll add it here too. if i were you, i'd put new points in it to get her running again. then swap over. if you make mods before you get her started you could be chasing all sorts of issues if she doesn't fire right up. keep it simple...

rono
04-15-2013, 03:57 PM
i mentioned this in the other thread but i'll add it here too. if i were you, i'd put new points in it to get her running again. then swap over. if you make mods before you get her started you could be chasing all sorts of issues if she doesn't fire right up. keep it simple...
I went ahead and called and ordered the electronic stuff, but I sure should do what you say; but you know what forest gump would say.
I so appreciate your advise.

skiman_61
04-16-2013, 04:07 PM

Pray tell, Salty. What problems do you foresee?

Jetlink
04-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Pray tell, Salty. What problems do you foresee?

Usually you want to try and get stuff that is currently there and installed working first before you go changing all sorts of components. That way you're not scratching your head when in this case your new electronic ignition appears to be junk right out of the box.

I agree with Salty that you should try and get it running as it is now and once you get that taken care of, then start your upgrades as you see fit.

rono
04-18-2013, 02:17 PM
thanks. I did get lucky. It runs great. Now moving on to next problem. sqealing water pump I think

89SaultySupra
04-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Don't forget to remove the cover that has the reset button on it and take the ceramic block out. I just jumped the wires together onto one post.

CornRickey
04-19-2013, 09:05 AM
You need the correct coil also for the specific system.

frmdog
06-17-2015, 01:44 PM
I know this is an old topic but I just switched over to electronic and now my coil gets extremely hot. I did jump the two wires on the ceramic block and running the flame thrower coil that came with the new system. Boat will run great until that coil gets hot then it won't idle. Anybody else coil get so hot that you can not touch it? Is this normal?