PDA

View Full Version : Grounding issues

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Have had a hell of a time with stereo and electrical this winter, first I had a whine thru speakers when engine was running, this was resolved by grounding head unit to same ground as amps. Next up was speakers popping when using trim tabs, this was resolved by installing 3 50v 100uf capacitors on leads to pump at switch and grounding caps.

Last up was light switch for dash and navi lights were turning on fuel pump and my perfect pass when using lights, also tower beacon light went off when key was turned on. This was resolved by removing ground for tower beacon light from main circuit board under the dash and installing it on ground plane at circuit board that connects to switches for lights,bilge,accessories and courtesey lights.

Not really impressed with this small circuit board for these switches, I have had trouble with it before, it is hard to plug all 4 switches into it at one time and Supra did not leave any slack near the board to make this easier, I ended up sodering jumpers from board to switches and just sodered the board side of the jumpers.This time I found a whole bunch of slack for this harness under the dash and that helped with trouble shooting and remounting switch panel.

It seems stupid to run 9 wires in a harness from main circuit board to small circuit board when if you had just added 5 more wires to this harness you would not need 2nd circuit board at all and could go direct to rocker switches instead.This would be less connections to corrode and possibly fail.

Wires were also left very short heater and trim pump. I had to lenghten all of them just to be able to check connections
and or replace failed switches.
I am getting really good at removing drivers seat to work under the dash*****

tg0824SSVGG
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM

Got any photos of the caps after install?

Todd

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
04-17-2013, 06:07 PM
I have got everything all back together now but here is a link that I found that gave me the fix for this issue, just scroll down link and
there is a diagram there that shows you how to wire it up. I used polarized caps and shorter lead on each cap is the ground.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745329

Hope this helps
Thanks Dave