PDA

View Full Version : New member, bought 86 Supra with 454 and 90 ORIGINAL hours: update

rono
04-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks to all. You could not have been more true about Discount Inboard Marine. I told them the forum recomended me. I ordered the total electronic ignition kit and installed it. Boat did not start. was going to order carberator but tech on phone told me what to check. Boom boat started and runs perfect. A few minute after running it started to squeal at the front. Surely it is the water pump. I know I need to order an impeller for pump housing, but am not sure about all the water system. On the front of the boat are the alternator and something else and the regular water pump like are in cars. there is also a housing above the flywheel where I think the impellor goes. I bet I sound smart. Appreciate feed back. somehow I think I am getting it done; with youall help of course

Salty87
04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
that's great, always a good feeling when they rumble to life.

there are 2 water pumps on these boats...one like you would see on a car and another called a raw water pump with it's own belt and pulley. the engine mounted circulation pump moves water through the engine and out the exhaust. the raw water pump draws water from the lake. the engine mounted pump wouldn't be able to do that. inside the belt driven raw water pump is where the impeller lives. as on a car, the engine mounted pump is bad when it weeps water. impellers are rubber and don't last long depending on use. when they sit for long periods, the vanes lose flexibility and dry out. the next time the boat is run they break off and the engine loses water flow. if the impeller is spun often it can last longer. it's generally best just to change each year for peace of mind and engine.

your belts could be squealing as well. they dry out and stretch over time.

rono
04-18-2013, 09:28 PM
So perfect and well explained. Thank you. also correct about the belt squealing. I am actually going to take it out tommorow.