PDA

View Full Version : Leak from front of engine?

awesomesteven
04-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Good news! The boat starts right up!
Bad news...there's a leak!

I noticed water dripping from below the crankshaft pulley and traced it up to the circulation pump. I'm not too sure with what goes on in there, but would it make since that the gasket is bad? Would it be a difficult fix? It seems like it would be pretty easy to remove.

There was plenty of water coming out of the exhaust but I didn't run it long enough to try and get the temp up. I checked the oil to and it doesn't seem milky.

EDIT: Just checked it again and it looks like its coming from where the engine and the pulley connect. Does that mean that I need a new pulley?

Jetlink
04-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Go take a picture with your camera phone of the pulley and area and post it up here.

michael hunter
04-18-2013, 11:23 PM
The shaft packing is leaking out of the vent hole behind the pulley. I dont think that pump is a marine only part . You could get a replacement part at the auto parts store or SkiDim.

CornRickey
04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
The shaft packing is leaking out of the vent hole behind the pulley. I dont think that pump is a marine only part . You could get a replacement part at the auto parts store or SkiDim.

Marine water pumps don't leak when they go bad? I've neve r had one go bad so I just assuned they did like a auto.

awesomesteven
04-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. I ended picking up an auto water pump from advance auto for about $20. I'm going to switch out the stainless steel backing from the one on the boat. It should be good for atleast this season and plan on getting the one off skidim starting next season.

awesomesteven
04-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Turns out the one I picked up was standard rotation and is backwards from what i need. Anyone know where I could find an auto water pump?