PDA

View Full Version : Transmission leak

89SaultySupra
04-18-2013, 09:34 PM
I have a trans fluid leak. Fluid coming out between bell housing and trans. I have a PCM 351 with a PCM TRANS behind. I am an ok mechanic, how hard is it to remove trans and replace front trans seal and re install? It looks straight forward. What are the hidden problems I don't know about?

Thanks

Salty87
04-19-2013, 08:49 AM
there are a few comprehensive write-ups around here people have posted w/pics. have you tried searching? i think lively and maybe haugy have posted info.

i've never done the job but one hurdle you'll face is that the rear engine mounts are on the tranny. you'll need to support the engine while you remove and work on it.

rideevol
05-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Web search to; Engines1.novosolutions.net I found a PCM_40_a_trans_man.pdf This manual was helpful.
My PCM transmission required a case seal replacement after it took on water. Long story.
If you open the case, the transmission pick-up restricts opening until the press fit tube loosens, at least that was my case. It is all back together now. I didn't need to mess with the front seal.

SquamInboards
05-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I did this last season on my boat, replaced front main seal on the transmission that is. The oil pump on the transmission is directional, make sure you put the cover on the same way you take it off. Take pictures or mark it with a pencil or something. As salty said, you do have to support the engine while the transmission is out. I did it in about 3 hours start to finish by myself, but I had the help of a tractor for lifting. The actual seal replacement is really easy. None of the individual steps in the process are difficult on their own. Access to a hoist of some kind to lift the engine is hugely helpful.