PDA

View Full Version : improving slalom technique

mike84comp
07-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have a recomendation of a training video for skiing. I see them on Barts, Overtonens, etc. but I don't want to put out $30-40 for one without some idea it would be worth it.
I would say my skill is stuck at acomplished recreational if there was such a thing. I ski on an HO SST. It evolved into the Burner in the HO line.

I made quite a bit of progress today with the adjustment on the cavitation plate and shorter rope length. I feel pretty comfortable pulling across the wake but am strugling with rolling to the other edge and carving a turn. I tend to make really short, quick turns and end up with slack or I end up going out the front while trying to turn. I've been trying to carry my speed across the wake and then go to one hand and roll to the inside edge and carve but it just isn't coming together for me.

I thought maybe an instructional video would help.

Any advice for a middle aged wanna-be would be appreciated.
Mike

Ed Obermeier
07-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Gordon Rathbun's Slalom Drills video is the Bible. Study that, work on the drills and you can't help but improve. Highly recommended.

Ed

Ed Obermeier
07-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Another consideration. You're on a pretty old, old tech ski. A newer ski such as a Burner or even better a Triumph will be money you'll be glad you spent. One of my regular ski buddies went from a Burner to a Triumph this spring and went from struggling through 15 off 28 mph to getting into 34 mph pretty quickly. He can't say enough about how much better the Triumph is over his previous couple of skis. That and some lessons will be money very well spent.

Ed

Dinoz
07-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey Mike,

A video that I bought was Andy Mapples video, sorry I can't recall what it's called but you can buy it off of Overton's as well. Regarding the type of ski your on, I bought the Triumph 71" last year, WOW what a difference. I'm 6'4" and not a light weight either, this ski changed my skiing completely.

Regarding your findings on the cavitation plate, did found it to be better with the plate 1'4" down, versus level with the hull? I'm really cuious why Supra is saying for trick and barefooter's it would be better with the plate up 1/4". Any ideas?

DZ.