PDA

View Full Version : Prop shaft problems 89 Saltare

Moose
04-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Looking for some advise on a prop shaft issue. Trying to remove the drive coupler from the prop shaft in my 89 saltare. The shaft coupler is not connected to the transmission. There are no pinch bolts in the coupler looks like just the shaft key and some rust is holding the thing together. I have soaked the thing with wd40 and have tried tapping the coupler in both directions with no luck. Also used a pin punch through the back side of the coupler down the keyway to punch out the key with no luck. Am I missing some secret code to unlock this mystery? Please help.

Salty87
04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
could just be locked in. i had to sawzall a shaft that wouldn't release from the coupler. prop shop used a hydraulic press to get what was left of the shaft out. they were surprised how well it was stuck but said it happens sometimes.

is this your original shaft and coupler? seems there should be more than just the key holding it in. the few shafts i've had all used set screws.

Moose
04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
could just be locked in. i had to sawzall a shaft that wouldn't release from the coupler. prop shop used a hydraulic press to get what was left of the shaft out. they were surprised how well it was stuck but said it happens sometimes.

is this your original shaft and coupler? seems there should be more than just the key holding it in. the few shafts i've had all used set screws.

Looks original set screws missing. Hope i dont have to cut the shaft.

wotan2525
04-22-2013, 02:53 PM
I think the original coupler has double set screws.

You can put a socket in between the coupler and the transmission and use longer bolts to "press" the shaft out of the coupler.

Ptownkid
04-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Yup, that's how I did it Wotan. What he saying in case it's not clear is that you put a socket on the end of the shaft, and then reassemble the coupler. The socket should bottom out against the transmission and force the shaft out.

Moose
04-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Cool Think im gonna try the socket method. I was thinking maybe rigging up a steering wheel puller as a press but using the socket in between the couplers would be much easier. Thanks for the input.