PDA

View Full Version : 2005 21v steering issue

suprabama
04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
Can barely turn the steering wheel! Takes two hands to turn steering wheel! Is it the steering cable or rudder?

Jetlink
04-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Most likely it is the cable.

99bison
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Yes, most likely cable, to test just disconnect where cable attaches to rudder via a bolt and see if rudder turns freely.
I just got done swapping my steering cable late last night on 2001 ssv. Biggest pain was getting the 1 1/8 nut off, had to open the mount via 4 bolts, that were barely reachable, then had to use vise on bench and big pipe wrench to get it apart.

rideevol
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Steering cable was tight on my '89 Mariah. The label for its cable grease calls out 'Mercury 2-4-C which is a lube containing teflon. My steering was stiff but I was going for easier.
Rear zerk fitting received a few good pumps and voila! my steering got stiffer. Not the desired result.
Unscrewed rear cable zerk fitting, turned steering from side to side and some grease 'burped' out but still not less friction.
Dis-assembled dash end of cable, attached compressed air to rear of cable and attempted to get grease out of cable. This procedure also does not work. Air finds its way through grease without pushing the grease out.
Finally, injected marvel mystery oil into my cable in the hopes that this soap/oil formula would loosen the grease, it did.
I won't know until this season if my steering will get better or worse, but right now it is turning easier then my initial starting point.
Update - Nov. 2013 - Steering force now light and easy all season, Marvel Mystery Oil did the job.

MUNS01
04-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Probably your cable. I just replaced mine ( same boat and year ) last season. Felt like a whole new boat!