PDA

View Full Version : control panel buttons 86 soltaire

rono
04-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Purchased after sitting 7 years with help from youall, boat is working beautifully. I did have to force the 6" exhaust a bit to replace the 3" hose section and a little bit of leak is coming in especially in reverse. Should I get some marine caulking to seal it at the rear of the boat and maybe also at the rear exhaust outlet? Also does someone know what all the buttons do. I have figured out that the first one is for everything, the second is for the blower. I think the third one is for the bilge but the bilge does not work. and on the other side there is one for the horn, but that is about it. I am still not able to figure out how to upload pics. either on this post or on the profile. I hit the manage attachments but got a blank screen. I think I got a nice boat that was hardly ever used and cared for and only paid a grand including a nice trailer and extra prop and a bunch of other goodies including skis and never used pull float/tube. Drove it for and hour today and temp was 100-110 and oil pressure 50

wotan2525
04-23-2013, 06:28 PM
First -- get your bilge working or get a new one. It's cheap and you need at least one (though I would never run without 2.)

Second -- Seal up those exhaust traps. You'll want to remove the nut on the very end (in the center) and then remove the packing plates. Then remove the screws that hold the flange on to the boat. The flange will still be stuck to the hull so try to pry it off and it should come. Try not to hurt the gel coat too much but it should be ok. Next, clean both the flange and the transom and get all of the old sealant and residue off. I used a little wire brush attached to my drill but BE CAREFUL if you use a rotary tool.

Once it's all clean, wipe it down with acetone or alcohol and then reinstall the plates with new sealant. If you want to be extra sure -- and if your transom is all swiss cheesed, like mine was, I'd fill those existing holes with some 3M 5200 first, let that cure and then drill new holes and reinstall the new flanges with black RTV or 3M 5200. (Don't forget to put sealant on the screws.)

I think 5200 is a little agressive for something you may want to take off again and black RTV is cheaper... but... it's whatever you're comfortable with.

It's a 2-hour (4 beer) project.

Third -- Replace your thermostat. You're wasting more gas than you should if you're not up around 180F.

sybrmike
04-23-2013, 06:29 PM
I'll say it before the others - pics or it didn't happen.:)

I'm assuming it has supertrapps on the exhaust. Use the Search feature on this forum - lots of posts regarding leaking and sealing those up. The dash is a little different on my 89 , but I know there are others that can comment on the 86. It's not directly applicable, but I found the general manual for 90- 21-23' Supra's found here http://www.supraboats.com/downloads/ to be helpful - these boats didn't change much during the early years.

Congrats on the find & hope it serves you well.

Salty87
04-23-2013, 08:27 PM
buttons on the left i think are master power, blower, auto bilge and manual bilge. get a large pump (1100 gph) with built in float switch so the auto switch works. i don't remember what's on the right side w/o going out to look.

can you describe the exhaust leak a little more? wotan posted a common issue but 6" exhaust and a leak you can see makes me wonder exactly where this is.

and dude, soltaire is not the preferred nomenclature. saltare, please. lol...can't remember what it translates to but if you search it's been posted.

rono
04-23-2013, 09:31 PM
Got the bilge working. I am not the best mechanic but I will study what you wrote and try to figure it out. I thank you much.

rono
04-23-2013, 09:40 PM
I think I learned how to add pics. My leak is very small right at the back of the engine compartment behind the driver side where the 3" pipe leaves the compartment/under the rear sink. maybe not on the pics. I dont see them? after I upload them the only option I see is "clear list"

rono
04-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Well for you guys it might be a 2 hour 4 beer job, but it took me almost 2 hours and 9 beers just to replace the impeller on the raw pump.

rono
04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
It is 3" not 6. It is just a tiny bit of water where the exhaust leaves the engine compartment. I pulled on it to insert the 6 inch long 3'' hose. so I think the leak is not coming from the lake water but possible from the flow of the exhaust; but cant be sure. Its not bad. I was wondering when the pipe what the pipe disapears into when it goes under the seat. Is it just foam or does a pipe run all the way through and out the transom?

Jetlink
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
buttons on the left i think are master power, blower, auto bilge and manual bilge. get a large pump (1100 gph) with built in float switch so the auto switch works. i don't remember what's on the right side w/o going out to look.

All correct on the left side panel, the right side working left to right should be as follows...

Nav lights, anchor lights, interior lights, radio(if installed), horn and ACC.

jasun
04-24-2013, 08:23 AM
It is 3" not 6. It is just a tiny bit of water where the exhaust leaves the engine compartment. I pulled on it to insert the 6 inch long 3'' hose. so I think the leak is not coming from the lake water but possible from the flow of the exhaust; but cant be sure. Its not bad. I was wondering when the pipe what the pipe disapears into when it goes under the seat. Is it just foam or does a pipe run all the way through and out the transom?

For your reference on where the pipes go:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/131866_577600645594773_801614811_o.jpg

Salty87
04-24-2013, 09:30 AM

2 definite possibilities...the exhaust like wotan has described and the platform bolts. both are common problems.

yes, the exhaust pipes run all the way to the transom but the connections there can be problematic if you have the traps. they need to be sealed periodically. not a difficult job.

platform bolts become loose on lots of these bolts. 2 issues there...holes becoming oversized and the bolts needing to be tightened. this can be slightly more difficult depending on what's under your gas tank. you may have to but through the floor to gain access or some models didn't have floor under the tank allowing easy access. you don't need the floor there so not a huge deal if you cut some holes.

rono
04-25-2013, 08:16 AM
thanks, Thats awesome and works great for me. I might just have a little looseness where it connects from me gyrating it. I wreckon you have the same boat

rono
04-25-2013, 08:20 AM
Thank you Salty.