PDA

View Full Version : '86 Supra Saltare - Monster Tower - Rebuilt Floor

bsampson
04-24-2013, 10:00 PM
23' Ski / Wakeboard open bow Supra Saltare. $8900.
Located in Springfield, IL
Barry - 217-638-two-two-four-zero
Can't seem to post pictures...e-mail me and I can send some. It's navy blue and off-white - gel coat still nice and shiny!

I consider this boat to be in excellent mechanical condition. Cosmetically, it isn't perfect, but for its age, it's still very good. You could enjoy this boat for many years without spending any extra money. I'm including all bumpers and ropes. It also includes 1 pair of old water skis, pair of trick skis, slalom ski, and kneeboard. These things add up when buying a boat.
Details:
-PCM 454 Engine (330 HP) -- The boat had a new engine installed in 2001 (original engine was not winterized and block froze and cracked). I don't know the hours on the boat since then, but I would guess less than 200.
-Delco EST Electronic Ignition -- Great upgrade. Makes boat run better and easier to maintain (no points to deal with).
-Prop -- Acme 3 blade NiBrAL prop. This is top of the line prop. It's in perfect condition. The old prop will also be included as a spare.
-Gelcoat looks great. Very minimal fading. The original stripe stickers along the side show how good of care this boat has received.
-Floor has been rebuilt and has new carpet (2008 ). This is not just a new layer of plywood on top of old rotten wood. The motor mounts were already replaced professionally by a marina and the previous owner. In 2008, I removed the old floor, foam, and rotted stringers, and rebuilt the floor. This was a combination of treated plywood, fiberglass, and 2 part foam. All wood was coated with multiple coats of thinned fiberglass resin until it wouldn't soak in any more. After that, I applied the fiberglass matting and resin. 2 part closed cell foam was re-poured in between stringers. I really expect this floor may last longer than the first one (which lasted over 20 years). New bilge pumps and blower also installed.
-Upholstery is original. I has some cracking around seams, but for its age, it's decent. I've seen much newer boats with much worse.
-Monster brand wakeboard tower with wakeboard holder (makes more room in boat when not in use). The entire tower folds down when not in use. The parts cost over $1400.
-Stereo -- Clarion marine stereo (CD/MP3/Aux. input), PPI Art Series a404 Amp (this is an older but legendary amp) to drive 4 main speakers, Lanzar Opti 500x2 (900 watt bridged) amp to drive a 12" Boston Acoustics Sub in a custom box. $1200 setup, and it sounds great!
Trailer:
Premium Galvanized tandem axle trailer
New Tires (less than 100 miles on them) (2010)
New Drum Brakes (2009)
New Brake Actuator (2009)
LED brake lights
New Cover in 2008. Should have a lot of years left in it. The boat is in a shed most of the time, so it hasn't had a lot of direct sunlight.

bsampson
05-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Here is a link to the Craigslist ad. See pics there:
http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/boa/3789367966.html

rkhodges21
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Opinions guys, how much would it cost someone to repair the cosmetic issues on this boat?

Salty87
05-07-2013, 03:35 PM
looks great. great price too although now mine's worth less than i dream about. same color combo, too.

to re-do a few seats maybe $4-500. to re-do all the vinyl prob closer to $1500-2k. depends on time of year and the shops in your area. from the pics, the playpen looks great. maybe just do the main seating area and save some $.

haugy
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
to re-do a few seats maybe $4-500. to re-do all the vinyl prob closer to $1500-2k. depends on time of year and the shops in your area. from the pics, the playpen looks great. maybe just do the main seating area and save some $.

Yep. Great looking boat.

To the Poster: Do you have any pics of it getting the new floor?

bsampson
05-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Not good ones. I just found a few in an old cell phone backup folder. Most of the pics of the rebuild were taken on a camera, and they cannot be found. The pictures I do have don't capture most of what I would want to show.

When I did the floor rebuild, I got a lot of inspiration from Salty87's rebuild thread, but I didn't have the ability to pull the engine or cap of the boat. Since the engine mounts were replaced professionally, I didn't think pulling the engine was too important. The bow of the boat was solid (which is the only part not accessible when you don't pull the cap off - maybe 18" - 2' feet of stringer?), and a lot of the stringers were still actually in pretty decent shape. The worst spots were where cuts were originally made into the stringers to install more supporting wood for the floor.

When I was cutting out the old stringers, I only cut out what was rotten. Using a sawzall, I'd cut slices out until the wood was solid. In the end, I actually left a lot (over half) of the original stringers, and did a lot of scabbing/filling with new wood. That way I had a little extra support from the old stringers, something to fasten new wood to, and I had guides for the new wood. All the new wood was laid in a bed of resin with talc (a.k.a. Bondo). So, as you can imagine, the pictures aren't nearly as beautiful as Salty's - but I think it was a very effective rebuild.

If somebody can give me some hints to posting pics, I'll get a few up. When I click "Manage Attachments" to upload a new one, I just get a blank, gray window.

villain
05-18-2013, 12:17 PM
if you can get the pics, i am really interested. i am hoping to end my search for a saltare sometime this summer. you can also send them to me in a text. you can pm me for my phone number. from what you have posted on cl, it looks like a good boat.

jeff

bsampson
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Great. PM sent.

bsampson
06-04-2013, 09:42 PM
The boat has been sold.