PDA

View Full Version : Roswell Board Racks

taft
07-10-2006, 03:33 AM
Has anyone else experienced any problems with their board racks? My first rack had a problem even before I got the boat. It was noticed and fixed, but seems to be doing the same thing again. The first rack wont lock into place, making me think that something is stuck inside. The second rack just screwed up on me last night, one of the unlocking pins is stuck pressed in.

So two problems with the racks in quick sucession, whats up with this?

myturndad
07-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Taft, I had the same problem and contacted roswell. They sent me the new repair kit to go the existing rack but forgot to send the pins.

I emailed them again last week in regards to the pins. I will tell you it got so annoying that I sprayed some wd40 on them last week and wow they work better than ever.

db

heydanniceshot
07-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Bad hardware. I've noticed some rust build up around the pins so I make it part of my standard routine to spray a little WD down in from the top and that keeps them moving nicely. Oh yeah, also, you may want to add a very low strength lock-tite to all your bolts that thread into aluminum. Mine try to rattle out constantly.

H20punk
07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
From what I was told from my dealer that wthere was a recall on them and had mine replaced!

Still have the problem!

Got better things to do than let my boat sit @ the dealer for weeks!

Robert

07-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I have had a lot of problems with mine lately too. Every other week I have to remove the racks and tighten the lower inside bolts and or polish the spring pin to operate properly. Easy fixes so far but annoying to deal with when it malfunctions on the lake. I agree a little loctite would help the inside bolts from backing out and galling the aluminum.

gmarkham1
07-11-2006, 04:27 PM
anyone have a problem with the hook on the strap... both of mine broke on the same day. Told the dealer about it, they said they had to order the whole rack just because of that little hook that seems it would be pretty simple to replace!

AusBill32
07-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I thought these Supra 21v racks were pretty cool when I got the boat but now I hate them to death. I've broken one of my clips and the things wobble like crazy on the water when it's choppy. Drives me nuts. I have to Wd-40 those ball bearings almost every week so the don't rust.

I think I'm going to end up buying some better built solid racks. I can't believe we have to replace the entire rack if that clip breaks. I ended up just using one of my velcro straps from my rope handle. Not the coolest looking thing but it works

gmarkham1
07-13-2006, 11:11 PM
that is exactly what i did! it works!

AusBill32
08-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Update to this thread because I posted it on another website. Apparently, you can just purchase the bungy part and clip. Here's a cut and past and the person to contact.

Please fire me an e-mail to [email protected]. I'll take care of your clip problem right away- Your dealer may have been misinformed but we can get you just the strap and you can replace it yourself.

I'm going to post the cost as soon as I find out tomorrow.

Bill

lowdrag
08-02-2006, 01:52 AM
One more thing. If you get the rebuild kit and have to start taking things apart, take the racks completely apart and use some locktite to put them back together. I got luck the other day and noticed that the screws that hold the forks on the racks had worked themselves loose. If I wouldn't of used the racks that day and discovered it, I probably would have lost one or two of the forks in the lake or had one come off at high speed and hit someone. I had the same problem with my Roswell mirror arm. How hard is it to locktite these things when putting them together to avoid some of these problems and just do it right the first time? Kind of frustrating.

AusBill32
08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
That's a great idea lowdrag - I've tightend those little bolts before but they sometimes wiggle loose. I'm going to use some locktight. Which color of that did you use.

Wanted to let you know Marc is going to let me demo something because I mentioned I was getting a lot of play in my set up around the pins and things were rattleing. So he responded with this in an email and is sending me some to test out. I will let you all know how they turn out and if I like them. I'll also take some pictures.

Marcs comment "We have come up with a full retrofit of the swivel you have that has eliminated the pins- It has one quick release style pin that you pull out, allowing the swivel to rotate. The pin can then be set back in; locking the swivel"

So I'm going to put them on this weekend if they arrive in time and I'll post some pics and then I'll take it out to the lake and see how much I like them and if they help hold the boards in place better. They sound like a better idea than the ball bearing pins currently being used.

Bill

lowdrag
08-03-2006, 05:24 AM
Cool, definitely let us see what the new system looks like and tell us how you like it. I used the blue loctite on my tower mirror since it was what I had at the time. Seems to work just fine.