PDA

View Full Version : Mariah advice

swey
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM
OK...... if you have been following any other threads of mine, you know that I am in the market for a early 90's Sunsport or Saltare. However, I have found a nice Mariah that needs nothing, but I want to know if you can surf behind a Mariah. I much prefer to surf over wakeboarding but also am interested to know if it puts out a decent wake. Any information is appreciated!!
-Sam

DAFF
05-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Yes, but I would continue my search for the perfect boat. The right one wil come along and when it does ponce on it. The ones which are priced to sell last a few hours...

haugy
05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Can you surf? Yes.

Is it really a wave that you want to surf behind? No.

As a former Mariah owner, there is no way I'd consider that a surf boat. Wakeboarding sure, but not really a good wake for surfing. Even with 800lbs and 3 fat guys in the back. The boat nearly sank.

swey
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Ha. Thanks haugy. I just laughed out loud at your post and I greatly appreciate your bluntness. Does the Saltare put out a good surf wake?

devovino
05-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Ha. Thanks haugy. I just laughed out loud at your post and I greatly appreciate your bluntness. Does the Saltare put out a good surf wake?

The Saltare definitely puts out a great surf wake, provided you get it weighted right. Unlike a boat like a Sunsport, it takes a bit of weight to "sink" the rear end to displace enough water to make a good wake. It took me a little bit of working last summer, but finally got it dialed in. I think I had 2200 lbs total and 2 other buddies and I were surfing a nice Starboard side wake, which is good for me being goofy footed. Also things like a good new prop helps clean up the wake, but have not sprung for on yet. Where your wake-plate is set.
So, yes, the Saltare can make a great wake for surfing, and its a good time getting it figured out!

kvand347
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Can't speak for the Mariah...

See here for Sunsport and Saltare wake pics: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?11320-Surf-Pics