PDA

View Full Version : Window tint kits??

sp8race1010
05-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Hey guys does anyone make a window tint kit for a 2002 supra launch windshield? I really want it tinted to 15% but no one around where I live will even give me a price on tinting it. I wanted a kit that was pre cut an already heated to form of the current glass shape.
Let me know what you guys think.

James
05-01-2013, 10:58 PM
I'd feel pretty safe saying that nobody sells this. And if they did it would be hella hard to get it right without a lot of experience just because of the huge curves in the glass. I got a quote for mine last week for $280. It's just a difficult job.

sp8race1010
05-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Location? Did I see you were in N. GA? If so, how far from Marietta? I would try Custom Sun Control on Cobb Pkwy if you make it down to this area. They could do no problem.
http://www.customsuncontrol.com/Home.aspx

Thanks man but I'm in flowery branch. On lake Lanier. I may just wait till next year for tint and a wrap. But would love takle them ASAP.

KG's Supra24
05-02-2013, 01:12 PM
I think there are a couple people around Lanier that have window tint. E4Nash is one. Not sure how regularly he checks this site but you might send him a PM.

James, 280 is a real good price if you have a rounded windshield.

sp8race1010
05-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I think there are a couple people around Lanier that have window tint. E4Nash is one. Not sure how regularly he checks this site but you might send him a PM.

James, 280 is a real good price if you have a rounded windshield.

Thanks ill deff try him

NorCalPR
05-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Pull the windows and tint them yourself. If you've ever applied graphics it's too easy.

Once you set them out in the sun for a hour or two to set, "cut" the edge off using a fine file. Use the corner of the glass.

Reinstall the window. Because you're using the edge of the glass to cut the tint, thhe entire glass will be covered.

If the window is in place, you can look along the edge and see untinted glass. Removing the window and cutting with a file is the only way to prevent that ;)

ramzak
05-03-2013, 03:39 AM
I am an investor in my friends Window Tint Company(Part Owner). I dont do tint, but know quite a bit about it.

The tint(especially on curved boat glass) has to be formed to the glass, on the glass(removed from boat). It is also, almost impossible to cut and install the right shape while the glass is on the boat. This is due to 2 things. 1. The extreme curve on boat glass causes the outside surface area to be a different size and shape than the inside surface area. Window film is cut/shaped on the outside of a car and then applied inside. 2. The depthe of the boat dash combined with the lack of room between the deepest part of the dash and the bottom of the inside of the windshield gives you no room to work/stick a hand/stick a tool down there

There is no way to pre-shape and cut it and then install it as a kit. Flat(flatter) car glass is possible to precut on a plotter, but it still has to be shaped to the glass. You would be surprised that most car glass is shaped somewhat(especially the rear window).

This is just not possible. We have contracts with car dealerships and do a lot of commercial and residential buildings. This one off type of job would probably cost you $400-$400 including window removal and re-installation

Here is a pic of mine being tinted.

sp8race1010
05-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys and your tint looks sick on that boat sir! Thanks for the advice I guess I will pull out the windows and take them to the shop down from me that sells good film.

suprasam
05-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Ramzak that boat looks good.....but sorry that price is a bit crazy from what I have seen(no offense). Granted my windows are not tinted.....but a buddy of mine has a Yamaha AR210 and his were tinted dark for around 275.00. He dropped it off that morning, and picked it up on the way home from work......and not from a cheap shop either. Good luck finding a place.

beat taco
05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
I'd say $400 is a great price if they take the windshield off, remove the frame, and re-install everything. That's easily a full days work for someone plus some material.

suprasam
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Even someone(me) that's not in that industry can do it in a couple of hours........if it takes a Pro a full day, they need a new line of work because they are losing money quickly.

beat taco
05-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Even someone(me) that's not in that industry can do it in a couple of hours........if it takes a Pro a full day, they need a new line of work because they are losing money quickly.

Two hours to take the windshield off the boat, remove the frame from the glass, tint the glass, re-assemble the frame, and install it back on the boat?

I just took apart a new mastercraft windshield that had the glass siliconed into the frame, just the disassembly of the frame/glass took 2 hours.

I got quite a few quotes on tint only and they all ranged from $200-$350. So $400 sounds good to not touch it and have it done right to me.

KG's Supra24
05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Everything that I've seen on our type of window is in the $400 and up range. The times I've seen people comment about a lower price it is usually followed with the installer being really frustrated bc it took way more time and effort than anticipated.

I paid $400 for mine ....

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_00172.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/forum1-1.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/109_0002-1.jpg