PDA

View Full Version : Pylon

87 Sunsport
11-06-2002, 02:34 PM
We have an 87 Sunsport. We've had it for a little over a year. The Pylon has begun to wobble in the last month. I put a video camera down the bilge plate and was not happy with what I saw: The pylon is attached to a steel beam cross bar that is welded to two 1/4 inch steel plates about 10 inches square. These are mounted to the inner side of the stringers at about the water line, about where the windshield is. The bottom of the pole is attached to a stepped strip of steel that angles down to the attachment of the center fins. The lag bolts that attach the steel plates on the side are loose and falling out on both sides, I suspect the wood underneath is rotten. I worry that if this gets any looser the play will rip out the center fins. I don't see any way to get at those plates withlout ripping out the floor. I think I am in the market for a tower.

gm
03-18-2003, 11:42 PM
I have an 89 comp and the pylon does seem to be just a little loose. it is not the ring either. I checked that. Seems to work ok. Curious if there is some sort of adjustment.

87 Sunsport
03-19-2003, 07:17 AM
Since my last post I was able to take out all the lag bolts and reinsert them with 3m 5200 marine adhesive. The lake is still frozen so I will have to wait untill summer to find out if this patch works.

Nick H
03-20-2003, 05:12 PM
ive just finished a winter refurb on my 91 comp during which i had to move the pylon slightly to get a better clearance from the engine cover with a trainer boom fitted. It was a fairly simple job to to remove the small section of floor in front of the engine bay and betwwen the stringers. It is a seperate piece of ply , glassed in, and once removed you have full access to the pylon and fixing bracket. I made a new section of floor from marine ply, soaked it in preservative, then just screwed it down and glassed it over again. The whole job took around 3 hours over a couple of evenings. Be bold, you know you can do it !!