PDA

View Full Version : Audio system setup help

Zim
05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm basically gutting my entire audio system and want to double check that I'm wiring everything correctly. The boat is an '06 sunsport 20v. I'll be putting the following in it:

6 Polk Audio db651 6.5 coaxials for the inboat speakers - 4 ohm speakers
Pair of same Polk speakers replacing worn out speakers in a pair of tower pods - 4 ohm
Pair of MB Quart tower speakers - 4 ohm
2ohm +2 DVC subwoofer
KAC-8402 4 channel Amp (•60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (90 watts x 4 at 2 ohms)
•180 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
)
JL Audio M6450 6 Channel amp - •45 watts RMS x 6 at 4 ohms (75 watts RMS x 6 at 2 ohms)
•150 watts RMS x 3 bridged output at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

I'm trying to determine the best way to hook everything up. Here's my thoughts.

All in-boat speakers will be on the JL 6 channel and the subwoofer. Bow speakers on 2 channels, rear 4 speakers run in parrallel on 2 channels, sub on two channels. Whats the best way to do this as far as bridging to get the most power to each speaker with this setup?

The 4 tower speakers will go on the kenwood 4 channel amp. Should I just use 1 channel for each speaker, or should I bridge these? Does it matter?

Does it make sense to wire my Front pre-amps to the JL amp, and the rear pre-amps to the tower speakers so I can use the fade feature to keep from blowing people out of the boat when I crank up the tunes for the rider? My deck has a dedicated sub-preamp, so I won't lose sub sound when use the fade. The sub pre-amp would be connected to the channels I use for the subwoofer on the JL amp.

How do I wire that sub up? The sub came with the boat, and I really have never dealt with a dual voice coil sub before. Should I sell this one and just get a single voice coil to optimize power? It seems to be a nice sub (kenwood). The magnet on the thing is huge.

If I wired as described above, is this what I should expect?
JL amp
Channel 1/2 (bow speakers) - 45W @4ohm
Channel 3/4 (rear/mid in-boats) ran in parallel - 75W @ 2ohms, so 37.5W per speaker RMS?
Channel 5/6 (Sub) - No idea for the best solution here.

Kenwood Amp
Channel 1/2 (first pair of tower speakers) - 60W RMS @ 4ohms
Channel 3/4 (second pair of tower speakers) - 60W RMS @ 4ohms
Can I bridge these pairs of speakers to get higher outputs?

Sound right?

Also, my in-boat speakers are currently hooked up to the head unit. Because of this, I'll need to run new speaker wire to the starboard side of the boat. What's the best/easiest way to do this? I'd prefer to wrap around the bow, but have no idea how to gain access to where the existing wires that wrap around the bow are. Any advice?