PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass - what model do you have?

Ptownkid
05-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm interested in getting perfect pass at some point, but I'm trying to decide which version and the pros and cons of each. What do you have? Does it work for both wakeboarding and surfing? Do you find it accurate?

kvand347
05-11-2013, 07:20 PM
I don't have it on my boat, but I'd be more than happy to try each one out for you if you're buying! That way you can keep the one you like, and I can keep the one you don't. Deal? :p

96Comp
05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Stargazer. Works great for wakeboard, surf, slalom.

angus2112
05-12-2013, 10:12 AM
look at this http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady works great a lot less money and good guys to deal with

cadunkle
05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. Works fine for both, though I've only surfed it a few times the speed seems steady. I chose Wakeboard Pro (paddlewheel) over GPS for two reasons, primarily because I ride on a tidal river, there's always a current and it's always changing. GPS simply does not work well for this as your speed over water will not be accurate and will vary every time you change directions. The other reason is I wanted to have a water temperature reading, which you can only get with a fitting through the hull. I'm happy with the paddlewheel setup.

The only thing I don't like is the paddlewheel is not accurate over 28-30 MPH and reads low. It's the nature of this style paddlewheel, though at that speed the Airguides are more responsive and accurate. This does not help me as my pitot gets clogged frequently. I will likely replace my remaining Airguide with a GPS speedometer or do a GPS conversion on the Airguide. This will allow me to calibrate the paddlewheel and the slalom mode (RPM) at slack tide without having to use the GPS on my phone, as well as have a consistent (if inaccurate) analog speedometer.

Ptownkid
05-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't GPS speed over land and paddlewheel is speed over water? If currents do not affect a paddlewheel then I don't understand any of these systems at all.

trayson
05-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't GPS speed over land and paddlewheel is speed over water? If currents do not affect a paddlewheel then I don't understand any of these systems at all.

I have the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. I've just got the boat, so don't have much to compare it with, but it seems to work just fine.

I did find this on the Perfect Pass FAQ, although you'll need someone smarter than me to describe why:

4. Q. We ride in a river with significant current, is GPS the right way to go?
GPS is based on speed over ground, so if you have strong currents you may wish to stay with the paddle wheel. Running Star Gazer in slow currents may require a tweak of the set speed to adjust for the current.

Ptownkid
05-13-2013, 08:43 PM
That is so confusing...but thanks. I thought GPS was the way to compensate for this...meaning if you are heading north, and giving it just enough throttle to perfectly oppose the flow going south then the GPS would read zero. Whereas the paddlewheel would read whatever current was passing under the boat and display it as the speed.

What am i missing?

CornRickey
05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
You are absolutely right. Now think about the person on the wakeboard. There experiencing a speed equal to the current. Like running on a treadmill, your not going anywhere but you sure are running hard! Now also realize that the boat speed is showing 0 with the gps system because you aren't moving compared to a paddlewheel system that is actually showing the speed of the current because the boat isn't moving.

The exact speed needed for a wakeboarder or surfer is of the board moving over the surface of the water not the boats indicated speed. If its not clear try Youtubing "can a airplane take off from a treadmill" its the same concept.

Sirgonz
05-13-2013, 09:49 PM
That is so confusing...but thanks. I thought GPS was the way to compensate for this...meaning if you are heading north, and giving it just enough throttle to perfectly oppose the flow going south then the GPS would read zero. Whereas the paddlewheel would read whatever current was passing under the boat and display it as the speed.

What am i missing?

That sounds right to me..... I think they have a typo or misunderstood the question.... unless the current adds too much speed so even though the boat is really going 20 add the current to that and now you are doing say 25 and would be to fast to wakeboard ? Maybe that's the reason?

LOL CornRicky beat me to it

cadunkle
05-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Speed over water is what you want. Speed over land is irrelevant. This is why paddlewheel is superior. If you ride in a lake with no current, then GPS simplifies this as there is no current when the water is flat. No need to calibrate GPS. A paddlewheel must be calibrated when there is no current with a stopwatch over a known distance (such as a slalom course) or with a GPS, then is accurate.

If you ride where there is a current, such as the river I ride which is anywhere from 0-7 MPH either direction throughout the day and constantly changing, then paddlewheel is the way to go. If you ride on an inland lake with no current, you may prefer GPS so you don't have to calibrate the paddlewheel from time to time.

Ptownkid
05-15-2013, 09:01 PM
The price difference beween stargazer and cruise is pretty large...if the paddlewheel is more accurate anyway then i guess it's a no-brainer.

cadunkle
05-16-2013, 09:35 AM
I would not get cruise, it has no digital display so does not tell you your speed, set point, or water temp. Also not sure how you would adjust the settings on it to get the pull dialed in in case you're running really heavy or it needs tweaking for your boat. I believe the difference in price between WakeBoard Pro (paddlewheel with 2 line display) and Stargazer was about $100-$200 more for the GPS using the same display, basically negligible for a $1k system. Get whichever you prefer, but I suspect you'd be disappointed with Cruise. It's better than nothing, but I'd sooner get RideSteady than PP Cruise if you wanted a paddlewheel system and to save a few bucks.

When I got my PP, RideSteady was not yet available so PP was the only game in town. I may have opted for RideStead if the savings was significant, as in over $200. I believe I paid around $990 shipped for PP Wakeboard Pro from onlyinboards. Had some minor issues and PP was great, swapped out display no charge no problem.

Ptownkid
05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Uggggh, hadn't thought of that. Now it's really a tough call. Not really a fan of going with an unknown company on this...but didn't really feel like paying 1200 either.

trayson
05-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Uggggh, hadn't thought of that. Now it's really a tough call. Not really a fan of going with an unknown company on this...but didn't really feel like paying 1200 either.

This really isn't that hard.

1) Do you ride in a river with a current?
2) Do you want a really good system that gets you the most features without spending extra money?

If you answered yes to those two questions, find somewhere that will sell you the Perfect Pass Wakeboard Pro. It's not listed on the perfect pass website, but I'm sure that you have to be able to buy it somewhere. I mean, why be forced to buy a GPS when what you really want is the paddle wheel.

My Perfect pass wakeboard pro has the paddle wheel. It has a digital display where I can see my speed, water temp, and engine hours. It has either speed or RPM mode. Honestly, it has everything that I could want or need and the GPS version really doesn't interest me (especially since it costs more).

Find yourself the Wakeboard Pro and be done with it. I am completely happy with mine, and I was using mine on the Columbia River and we had a pretty good current going.

Ptownkid
05-17-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm a little worried about hunting down a used wakeboard pro for two reasons...verifying that it works and knowing what pieces are needed. Going to read more about it.

trayson
05-17-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm a little worried about hunting down a used wakeboard pro for two reasons...verifying that it works and knowing what pieces are needed. Going to read more about it.

I would put in a call to Perfect Pass. If they're as helpful as people on the forums claim them to be, maybe they would still be willing to sell you a new Wakeboard pro. I'm sure they have the pieces laying around somewhere...

Couldn't hurt to call them.

cadunkle
05-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Buy new if you don't mind spending the cash. I got mine (Wakeboard Pro, paddlewheel) from onlyinboards.com for $990. Price has gone up a bit to $1040 but they still sell it. I may have got it during a group buy with a discount though, I forget.
http://onlyinboards.com/AccessoryShop/Products/Perfect-Pass.aspx

Stargazer (GPS) is $1195, but if you ride a river or other place with a current you'll find the paddlewheel gives better results.

Finding a used system is hit or miss, as watersports enthusiasts are generally few and far between, and once PP is added to a boat it is rarely removed unless the boat is totaled or parted out. Even then if an older system was upgraded you may find the box and gauge but you'll have to buy a new paddlewheel. Those generally stay with the boat and would probably be destroyed trying to remove.

For someone like me who doesn't ge tout nearly as often as I'd like, and when I can find a crew I sometimes get great experienced drivers and sometimes people who rarely drive a boat... Well let's just say Perfect Pass has been the single greatest thing I've ever bought for my boat and worth every penny.