PDA

View Full Version : If you're bored......help me stripe the Saltare

haugy
05-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Long story short, I'm putting the stripes back on my boat. The PO didn't remove them when they painted it, and now I have a lovely gap in the paint with gelcoat showing underneath. I have no idea if they sanded the hell out of the gelcoat before paint, so I'm not stripping the paint to find out.

So I'm going to put the stripes back on exactly as they were before...........except the colors. I don't hate the rainbow, but not for this boat.

I've met with a vinyl person and they are going to custom cut and place an exact replica of the original stripe. I've just got to choose the colors. The supra wave logo will also be placed back on in matching fashion.

My plan is a "ghost stripe". A hidden stripe that is there but not easily noticeable. This will hide the gelcoat "gap" and add a bit of traditional style while still being subtle.

The stripe is planned to be 2 3/4" high so that's 1/8 overlap from factory to cover up the seams of the paint/gelcoat transition.

The main center of the stripe will be black. And the outer edge will be a charcoal gray color. This will be a solid transition from black to gray, no gradient blend. The Supra logo will be the same, black with a gray outline.

I'm going to try and do this on photo shop, but feel free to help me if you're bored. Other ideas and colors are also welcome (que the unicorns and rainbows).

The cool thing is she will have the dimensions for the stripe when all done and she will be able to do other's stripes as well if you want them. All you have to do is choose the colors or graphic patterns.

I'm adding some pictures for you to have fun trying with, and to show the lovely stripe gap.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/DSC_0393.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_06021_zps362f754a.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/IMG_06051_zpsd626ff8f.jpg

crystal waters
05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
love the idea of the ghost stripe but wondering if , by your description , the main part of the stripe being black will be lost against the black side of the boat and what one will see will be two narrow grey stripes separated by the black color of the boat?
What if you made the middle ( main part ) of the stripe a pantone color 403 and then the upper and lower parts of the stripe a
pantone color cool grey 3u. Just a thought but feel you might get more of a ghost look that way.

chrisk
05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
How much is all of this going to cost? Now that your source will have the stripe/logo on file I might use that option, as the stripes from my PO are starting to peel off.

I like the idea of grays on your black gel, but I agree with crystal waters that you should be careful not to lose your primary stripe, especially to distant viewers..

haugy
05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
love the idea of the ghost stripe but wondering if , by your description , the main part of the stripe being black will be lost against the black side of the boat and what one will see will be two narrow grey stripes separated by the black color of the boat?
What if you made the middle ( main part ) of the stripe a pantone color 403 and then the upper and lower parts of the stripe a
pantone color cool grey 3u. Just a thought but feel you might get more of a ghost look that way.

That's actually what I'm hoping for. I like the naked look, but this would help hide the gap while not being overly done. The small stripe on TnTitans' helped me decide. A nice small clean stripe. I could look at doing an off-black color with the gray striping to add more effect to the overall stripe. That could be very cool too.

crystal waters
05-13-2013, 05:39 PM
in the PMS matching system the next color just a shade lighter than black is 405 black ,then 404, then 403 black , then 402 black
Pull up a pantone color guide on line and compare . Perhaps by going to the 404 black you will get hardly any contrast on the main stripe but just enough for the ghosting effect and then use like a 401 or 400 for the upper and lower stripes.
By going this way you may also achieve your need to hide the gap.

haugy
05-13-2013, 08:21 PM
It was what was available at the time. Others are being planned since I received the true logo from members here. :D

TitanTn
05-13-2013, 08:25 PM
I love the idea of a ghosted look. I'm also not following the black middle stripe concept because I think it'll blend too much and just look like two grey stripes. I'm guessing about any color will cover the gap, so I'm wondering about something like a dark grey and a light grey stripe combination.

To answer Chris' question ... a lot if Pantone colors are used. Also, multiple colors per graphic add up significantly. I considered outlining my recent Supra and wave graphics, but the cost was prohibitive and I just didn't think it was worth the added cost. For reference I'll include a pic below.

And yeah, what's with the wrong Supra logo?

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/new_trailer3.jpg

inair
05-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Man I love that graphic! Simple, classic understatement that really sets the boat off. Of course that trailer is over the top and I'll be embarrassed to be in the same parking lot at the reunion!

haugy
05-13-2013, 11:06 PM
And yeah, what's with the wrong Supra logo?

Because the font on my trailer logo is the newer font, not the real one like on your boat. Yeah, tomorrow I should find out some numbers of what she's expecting.
I had to go with a local one because the one TNTitan used was dumber than a woodpecker on an aluminum telephone pole. I gave them the graphic, the sizes, and the colors and they still couldn't get me any info. I don't know how you got yours to look so good with them.

Found a nice before picture with the old stripes. I'll be photoshopping them tomorrow.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare_zps861778ae.jpg

haugy
05-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Here are two I'm playing around with. One is definitely subtle. The other stands out a bit more. I'm kinda torn. Both look okay (other than my quick graphics work in a rush).

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare-with-25-interior-45-stroke_zpsce82b273.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare-with-40-interior-75-stroke_zps9d78eccd.jpg

haugy
05-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Strange, they are both photobucket and they work on mine. First one is darker.

I thought about breaking the lines up using white. Not sure if that would make it stand out too much then. I like the subtle look.

wotan2525
05-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Strange, they are both photobucket and they work on mine.

LOL -- Pretty sure he meant he couldn't see the stripe because there wasn't enough contrast.

I'd look into the costs of these before you get too far ahead of yourself. Doing this with two colors of vinyl is going to be expensive and a royal PITA to apply. Printing these in full color is going to be EXPENSIVE!

The first option is going to make it so you have very little flexibility about the color anyway, so not much sense in mocking it up.

The second option is going to make you check into your retirement account.

haugy
05-14-2013, 11:56 AM
LOL -- Pretty sure he meant he couldn't see the stripe because there wasn't enough contrast.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26724836.jpg

That's one of the reasons I like it. It's there, but not noticeable till you get close or just right in the light. Yeah, I'm waiting on the vinyl lady who came by to take measurements to get me some numbers.

crystal waters
05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Haugy, looking at some other supras of our era ---many have just one single large stripe of one color.
Ever thought of that?
Ie just run a pms 404 or 403 black as a single stripe. Leave out the narrow stipe above and below.
Do your wave in the same with clear between the outlines to pick up the black of your side hull.
That would be very subtle I feel.

wotan2525
05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
His Vinyl lady isn't going to have Pantone 403/404 vinyl -- she's going to have a black and maybe a couple of shades of grey.

Sign vinyl has a pretty small selection. It's impossible to color match unless you're a real pro. Here's a chart showing 3Ms selection.

http://i.imgur.com/S0QpreE.jpg (http://imgur.com/S0QpreE)

DAFF
05-14-2013, 05:47 PM
I would go with a flat black reflective stripe background with a gloss black detail in the foreground.:cool:....

DAFF
05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Looking for some very high res logos of the old stuff. Mine on file are too rough when you vector them. Oh ya the Tshirt vinyl came in the mail today.

TitanTn
05-14-2013, 07:44 PM
I like subtle too, and might be able to go with the first option if reflective vinyl was used. Something to give it just a little more. Also would like to see that option with the wave in place. I think that might make a difference.

And I agree about the woodpecker and the aluminum pole reference. I just stuck with them because their pricing was so much better than others. The end result is a good product, but you have to babysit them through the whole production/purchase process.

haugy
05-14-2013, 10:15 PM
I would go with a flat black reflective stripe background with a gloss black detail in the foreground.:cool:....

Explain what you mean by the reflective...????

I like subtle too, and might be able to go with the first option if reflective vinyl was used. Something to give it just a little more. Also would like to see that option with the wave in place. I think that might make a difference.

And I agree about the woodpecker and the aluminum pole reference. I just stuck with them because their pricing was so much better than others. The end result is a good product, but you have to babysit them through the whole production/purchase process.

The first image does have the Supra logo. :) It's that hard to see. But you have to remember in my photoshopping i'm battling fluorescent lights. I'm still leaning towards the subtle look over the lighter more visible look.

DAFF
05-15-2013, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=haugy;93649]Explain what you mean by the reflective...????

The vinyl looks just like normal stuff but it has a sparkle added to it which is highly reflective. It costs a little bit but usually used for emergency vehicles and such and very high quality.

DAFF
05-15-2013, 08:10 AM
Here is a sample of what happens in the nightime....

haugy
05-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Well I can't see any picture, but I figured that was what you were talking about. That's not my style.

Ngavdba, because I'm mainly doing this to fix some shoddy work from the previous owner. I like subtle and clean. It looks like nothing from a distance, but the closer you get you then start to see the details. BAM! :D

Jetlink
05-15-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, that wasn't subtle. I'll shut up now. Good luck! Can't wait to not see it.

Hahaha, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.

haugy
05-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, that wasn't subtle. I'll shut up now. Good luck! Can't wait to not see it.

I award you 10pts for sarcasm..........

2500HD
05-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Just my opinion but if you want a ghost stripe it should be almost the same color as the boat. Not reflective or anything else, just a subtle difference. Enough to see the stripe and wave and nothing more.

haugy
07-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Well shit. I just waste a month on some PITA woman who said her company can do it. After missing appointments and losing the measurements I was done. Ironically she texted me today saying she talked to her boss and they don't think that they can do boat vinyl and need to contact some who can. F-YOU!!!!!

Just wasted over a month doing all this for nothing. Back to the starting line again. CRAP!!!!!

ibdealing07
07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Haugy,
I just ordered new registration numbers and the supra wave decal from a guy on Ebay. I ordered them in the 3D domed resin. If you search ebay for supra boat decal and find the seller DecalDock or just search for decaldock from the advanced search section you should be able to find him. Very reasonable priced (or atleast I think so). He charged $80 for 20" registration decals and 24" Supra with wave for both sides all done with Domed resin. I just emailed him and told him what I wanted.

haugy
07-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks man, but the problem I have is getting the stripes. If I could just get the original specs and dimensions for the Saltare's stripes I'd be done by now. But getting them exact is a royal pain in the butt. But they have to be to cover the paint overlay. UGH.

ibdealing07
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM
I ended up ordering Factory Larson stripes. They aren't exactly like the supra stripes but are pretty close. Havent put them on yet but they are charcoal and yellow 2". I'm waiting on my other decals before I try out the stripes.

DAFF
07-01-2013, 01:26 PM
I have a vinyl cutter and a worker who does all my stuff. He is very picky and precise. Perhaps drop me a text with the dimensions and I'll see what we can do.

haugy
07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I have a vinyl cutter and a worker who does all my stuff. He is very picky and precise. Perhaps drop me a text with the dimensions and I'll see what we can do.

That would be awesome to have available Daff. I'll see what I can do, the trick is how it tapers down in size the last 6 feet. It's a 2" wide stripe for the most part all the way down the boat, but then it tapers towards the bow. That's where it gets tricky. Getting them to taper down with the size and colors.

ibdealing07
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey haugy have you seen the wrapcut vinyl cutting tape. Check it out. You could do your stripes in on solid 2" piece and use this to cut them down those last 6 feet

haugy
07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Hey haugy have you seen the wrapcut vinyl cutting tape. Check it out. You could do your stripes in on solid 2" piece and use this to cut them down those last 6 feet

I don't know what that is, so I'll google it, thanks. I had that same revelation coming home today. Why not just get the stripes in the size I want, and then cut them down as it tapers. But that would be some precise cutting. I suck at arts and crafts. :)

Jetlink
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I don't know what that is, so I'll google it, thanks. I had that same revelation coming home today. Why not just get the stripes in the size I want, and then cut them down as it tapers. But that would be some precise cutting. I suck at arts and crafts. :)

I heard you were an under water basket weaving champ that represented the state of Tennessee in the national champions, therefore I am calling shenanigans on this claim.

ibdealing07
07-01-2013, 10:59 PM
The wrap cut would do the precise cutting for you. Check it out. YouTube has a few good videos on it. I have never personally tried it but it looks like it works really good.

haugy
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
The wrap cut would do the precise cutting for you. Check it out. YouTube has a few good videos on it. I have never personally tried it but it looks like it works really good.

HOLY BALLS!!!!! That is awesome!!! That's friggin genius!!! Great find man, really great find.

Okay, so lets see if I can map this out in my head. I lay down a 2" thick vinyl dark charcoal. This will be the main stripe. I can run it up to the bow, and the last few feet I can have this wrap cut to help taper it down. Since the old out line of the old stripes are there I can lay them right down precisely. Then have 1/2" light gray as the top and bottom outer stripes. They will go right over the 2" stripe making it really only 1" wide when finished.

Same process, as it tapers down towards the bow, lay down the wrap cut to help taper down it's size. So realistically I'd need about 3" charcoal and 1" light gray so I can overlap and cut it down.

At $13.00 a roll I got that! :D

So now I need to get some vinyl cut to length and width. Should be easy to find someone who can print on 3m quality vinyl at 23' lengths at 3" and 1" wide straight, right?

I'm excited to see if this works.

Here is the video I watched:

http://youtu.be/Ozb0AOOYLbw

ibdealing07
07-02-2013, 11:10 AM
LOL That was the same reaction I had. Sounds like you have it figured out. I'm excited to see how well it works. From the videos its looks pretty awesome. I think any descent vinyl shop could make you some stripes. You may be able to find some good vinyl on ebay.

haugy
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Alright, I found a local guy who does boat wraps. Downside is he only does 52" wide sections by however long I want. But for the same price I was going to pay for just single stripes. So I'm loading up those 52 inches. :D

I'm putting two sets of stripes, and two sets of waves. Since I'm trying to ghost the effect, I'm going with what I think will show up just right, and a hair bit lighter just in case.

I hope to have something next week since I'll be finishing up the graphic tomorrow and the holiday. Then I get to try the cut tape.

ibdealing07
07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
How much is he going to charge for the 52" wide vinyl. I almost bought 75ft of matte orange vinyl to cover my blue with but decided to go back with the yellow supra wave. I like the idea of your ghost stripe.

hyghoctane
07-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Haugy hope they take care of you. Wraps is 90% of my business. Knifeless tape is awesome. I use it on almost every boat wrap I do. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me. I'd gladly help you make sure your guy is getting you taken care of.

Jeff Rowland - Hygh Octane Graphics