PDA

View Full Version : What model year were Saltare Stingers not susceptible to rot?

MPienta
05-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a 1989 Saltare and was wondering when the factory fixed the "stringer problem"?

The particular boat I'm looking at has an excellent interior and firm floor. Should I still be worried about rotten stringers or did the factory start using "drainage holes" in the stringers to fix the problem that occurs in earlier model years?

Thanks for your time.

Michael

jasun
05-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Welcome!

The problem was not fixed until the early 90's. 92-93 I believe. the big giveaway is the curved glass windshield.

I bought an 86 that had a firm floor.... well they put 1/2 ply over the terrible one.

One thing to check as I am sure you already have read, is the lag screws on the motor mounts. If they spin, then you need to walk away or be prepared to spend countless hours and lots of $$$$ fixing it.

My Salt tipped the scale at close to 4600lbs. they are 3400 from the factory..

Good luck!!!

gogger
05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I bought an 89 pirata, saltare with a closed bow, last year before I knew about rotten stringers. Love the boat and spent $5000 to have them replaced. Well worth it and I love the boat even more.

MPienta
05-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the reply's.

Michael

Ptownkid
05-18-2013, 12:19 PM
I don't really think anyone clearly answered your question so I'll reiterate with additional info. I'm not sure when or even if supra ever added drainage holes to their wooden stringers. What Jasun is referring to is the switch Supra made in 1992 to all composite stringers and floors. The boats that have composite stringers have a curved windsheild with the exception of some comp classics from the mid 90's. Anything 1992 or older with a square windsheild has wood flooring and wood stringers. In the end, if the boat has been cared for and has no rot or the price is low enough to justify a future repair of the stringers are already going then it's nothing to be afraid of.

Hope that helps.