PDA

View Full Version : Over filled engine oil, Vdrive and transmission

jeffreyk573
05-20-2013, 10:29 AM
What kind of damage will possibly be done by having my engine oil, v-drive and transmission slightly overfilled? I emphasize slightly. I really thought that I had them perfect until I had put about 5 hours on the boat saturday. Checked fluid levels out on the lake, and all were high. Do I need to worry about this before I take it out next?

chrisk
05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Why not drain them down a bit and fill it up to where they need to be?

Also, you're not really supposed to check stuff like oil level right after you've run the boat, because you'll get an inaccurate reading. If you've been floating for a while with the engine off then that's a different story. That's how I understand it, at least, someone else might have something different to say.

Jetlink
05-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Not exactly sure as I have a direct drive and therefore I don't have a V-drive but on the engine, being a little above the "full" mark shouldn't be too bad. On my transmission, you need to warm the fluid and then pull the dipstick all the way out, wipe it off and then just set it back so the stick does not require any effort to push it in or pull it again to check it so make sure you are doing it right to get an accurate measurement. Also, wait a few minutes after running the engine to make sure all the oil drains back into the pan. It should only take a matter of a minute or two tops. Hope that helps.

jzelt
05-21-2013, 04:17 PM
If you aren't a full qt over, I don't worry about it. (I believe it is recommended you are over some on engine oil if you surf due to slope).

jeffreyk573
05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I dont surf, but that makes sense to me. I think I'll leave the engine oil alone, but I'm going to pull some transmission and v-drive oil out.