PDA

View Full Version : New Clarion head unit, where to hide it on a Sunsport?

mabbore
05-20-2013, 11:20 AM
I am finally replacing my ancient tape deck in my 1987 Supra Sunsport. Its currently located under my dash vertically mounted by my left knee. It does not have one of those plastic domes over it and I am concerned that this might not be an optimal location for my new radio (it might get wet from spray). I like the ability as a driver to turn the volume up and down, but its not essential since I have the radio circuit button on my dash to mute it when I like. I got all new Kicker marine 6.5" speakers too, but they aren't doing much attached to that ancient tape deck. Any ideas of where to mount it? where do you other Sunsport guys have it mounted.

chrisk
05-20-2013, 11:29 AM
When I had a head unit, it was mounted on the port side gunwhale, next to what would be the passenger's knee. It had a protective covering over it. This was a slot that was original from the factory. If you have a stock spot there like many of us do, you can mount there and run a remote wire over to the driver side and mount a remote module there. Another option is up underneath the windshield, that's not a favorite of mine though.

mabbore
05-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I have seen a bunch of the Saltare guys mount then under the windsheild, but on the Sunsports there is not a ton of room.

trayson
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Mine's a '92 sunsport. I don't know if my dash layout is different than yours.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WEMEW6vporE/UVO5aN2GJtI/AAAAAAAANuI/kPMmd8GG44g/s800/photo%2520%25286%2529.jpg

mabbore
05-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Mine's a '92 sunsport. I don't know if my dash layout is different than yours.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-WEMEW6vporE/UVO5aN2GJtI/AAAAAAAANuI/kPMmd8GG44g/s800/photo%2520%25286%2529.jpg

yeah, mine is the older inverted V looking dash

Jetlink
05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Hey Mark, I have mine mounted down by left knee from a previous owner. I have not moved it, have no real place to move it too and I have not had an issue with water intrusion at the current location. I seem to be unable to upload pictures from my home PC so this kind of blows... Sorry man.

EDIT: I do have a picture posted up on my profile under my 2010 album. Should be able to check it out there.

ckracing
05-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I'm about to embark on relocating my source unit in my '86 Sunsport. I have mine currently in the standard location (left knee, vertical mounted). Can't stand it there. I'm going to be putting it in the storage area behind the observers seat back. The multi-funtion LCD display remote to drive the unit will be in one of the now empty speedometer locations as I've moved to a GPS speedometer. Tachometer will stay as is. There will also be a transom mount control. Most of the time we're iPod or steaming via Bluetooth so direct access to the source unit isn't critical.
Anxious to hear other ideas / thoughts as I'm about to start.

CornRickey
05-21-2013, 11:54 AM
Get a marine clarion unit and put it in the originals place. I like my m309 the m1 commander is pretty cool. Whole system was $320