PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shooting Balast pumps

sp8race1010
05-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey guys, I have an 02 ssv launch and can't figure this one out. Wanted some input.
Here is what has been done so far.
Bags will fill just fine (3) front bag will fill and empty by the switch panel. Only function that will not work is the rear bag drain. They both fill but when you flip the switch the light illuminates but pumps do not activate.
So I took and chased the wires directly to the pumps. Disconnected each pump and isolated each pump on my power probe. Fresh ground and applied 12vdc and no pump run. I tried this on both pumps but got the same outcome on each.
I just wanted a general consensus on the chances of both rear pumps crapping out at the same time.
And have any of you ever had this issue or replaced these pumps?

Thanks for your input on this I wanna fix her by the weekend.
Just bought it a few weeks ago trying to get the gremlins exercised out of it.

jzelt
05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
It is possible they both went at the same time if they are used the same amount.

I had one rear go out. I was able to swap it with the other to a) rule out the wiring and b) rule it was the pump. I replaced it with a larger rule pump (I believe it was a 450 gph and went to 700 gph). Needed some additional hose sizes for adapters.

If you ruled out wiring, then I would say it is the pump (but check the impeller if you can, it may just be gumbed up). Happens to our bilge pump once in a while.

Zim
05-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Did you check the fuses?

sp8race1010
05-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Jzelt ill look into the impeller, ruled wiring out by isolating each pump. I will remove them and clean out impeller. Or is there a way to flush them out with purple power or some kinda cleaner?

Thanks

sp8race1010
05-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Zim where are the fusses located for them?

jzelt
05-25-2013, 01:25 AM
Our fuses are located on the drivers side on a panel by the feet on the port side. Marked Left Center Right Bow I believe.

Ptownkid
05-25-2013, 09:11 AM
He seemed to imply that he hooked 12V DIRECTLY to the pumps...if that is the case, it is not the fuses.

sp8race1010
05-28-2013, 02:19 AM
He seemed to imply that he hooked 12V DIRECTLY to the pumps...if that is the case, it is not the fuses.

Yes I did this. And no fire

sp8race1010
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey guys I went out on her this week and pumped up all three sacs. Front sac had no issues, but the back two bags would fill up then drain down. Any ideas as why they would do this?