PDA

View Full Version : '87 351 Ford parts equivalent?

jtomasik
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm wondering if the Ford 351 parts are equivalent to some, if not many, of the parts on the 351 Pleasurecraft Marine (mine is model number PL0WR110)? I need to get points, condensor, rotor, and distributor cap for it. Oh, what Ford is it equivalent to? Back in my motor-head days, there was a 351 Cleveland and a 351 Windsor. Is the 351 in my boat a knock-off of either? If so, which? I believe the Cleveland had the 8 bolt valve covers....which was an easy way to ID them.

BTW, I went to start it on Sunday, and it doesn't seem to be getting spark. I took the coil wire off, put a screwdriver in it, held it near ground, and still no spark. The engine cranks fine and seems to be getting fuel. Oh, just changed the oil...is there some kind of safety that prevents it from firing until oil pressure builds?

awesomesteven
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
You can pretty much put any automotive parts off a Ford 351w. I say pretty much because there are parts you should have marine parts for - starter, alt, etc.

Skidim has a kit that includes the points, condensor and roter - they also have a distributor cap seperately.
Check to see if your coil is good, then go from there...

cadunkle
05-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Your points, condensor, cap and rotor are for whatever distributor you have. Probably a Mallory YL, but possibly a Prestolite. These are not automotive parts but many NAPA stores sell marine parts. Tell them the year and engine, '87 Ford 351w (Pleasurecraft) and the model number off the distributor and they should be able to find the parts for you.

Other parts like internal parts and such are all interchangeable with automotive. You should retain marine starter, alternator, distributor, and carb for all boats with a closed engine compartment particularly. Some guys run automotive parts but I don't think it's worth the risk. Also, water pump on the engine and head gaskets (if any metal in them) should be marine.

jtomasik
05-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Anyone here ever convert to a pointless ignition system with an aftermarket kit?

wotan2525
05-22-2013, 11:15 PM
I think most people on this site probably ditched the points a long time ago. I run an auto HEI distro.... Plenty of marine options out there, though.

michael hunter
05-22-2013, 11:35 PM
I have the Napa part numbers if you have a Prestolite distributor.

jtomasik
05-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I believe this is a Prestolite. The cap is screwed on (not sure if that makes a difference). Forgot to get the numbers off it last night. Never got the points, condensor, cap, or rotor (couldn't find them anywhere). I did get an aftermarket coil, and that did the trick. Added about another 2 degrees of advance over stock recommendations, and that engine has some snap to it! I'm thinking I'll go to electronic, if I keep the boat. Oh, checked the stringers while I had the doghouse up, and the bolts are tight.

This board has some great info. Thanks again.

sjb84rider
06-25-2014, 08:12 AM
If possible, please provide the Napa P/Ns for the Prestolite distributor parts. The PCM points supplied by skidim are not as good a quality as the automotive variety.

Thanks for your help.

chris young
06-25-2014, 08:56 AM
I bought one of these, spoke to them on the phone prior to ordering and they are straight up.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/E5JL-12100-CA-Ford-New-Prestolite-Marine-Distributor-points-type-Hite-Parts-/280937495742?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item41692dfcbe&vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Once I get it in my hands (it's down the road at cusefan's place) I'll be putting in the crane electronic conversion and dropping it in. My boat already has the conversion, but I bought this and the Crane kit so I could re do it with all new parts, as older distributors have a reputation for the fly weights not working right after a while etc. and based on what I've had to correct on the boat so far due to shoddy workmanship, I'd rather know it was done right.

Stal1026
06-27-2014, 12:35 AM
Sierra marine is where Napa gets marine parts from. Google search sierra marine and you can look for parts on the online catalog. Find what you need and call the local Napa store with the part number and they will order it. I like ordering parts this way so wrong or defective parts can be returned and warrantied with out problems.

Early 90's ford trucks will have 351w. You can get gasket sets and some other misc parts that do not need to be marine grade.

lively
06-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Distributor , wires , carb , fuel pump , spark arrester all need to be marine . The rest is a ford 86/87 f150 5.8L 4bbH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk