PDA

View Full Version : 1988 sunsport 454

Moor
05-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Hi everyone,
New to the forum, just picked up this 1988 sunsport with the original 454 pleasure craft engine. 675 hours on the clock.boats really clean and original, and always garaged and well cared for. I got bit by the wake surfing bug last year, and plan on turning it into a surf boat. I read a lot of threads on surfing the old sunsports, but never one with a 454. Anyone ever surf behind a SS with a big block Chevy? Immediate upgrades include a full detail and wax, and a new battery. Followed soon by a ballast system, and a Bimini top. Does anyone know where I can find a factory bimini camper top? I saw one in a thread a while back and would LOVE to have it. I don't plan on putting a tower on it now because ill mainly be surfing.

I live in upstate NY, and towed the boat all the way home from the mountains of South Carolina, where it lived in fresh water it's entire life. Feel free to leave comments, suggestions or feed back. Thanks :D

yjwrangler95
05-22-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure i have the camper canvis at home from my 1990 Sunsport it is like brand new if I remember correctly. I will look Friday when i get home.

Thanks

mabbore
05-22-2013, 02:29 PM
nice looking Sunsport! Welcome.

suprasam
05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I have an 86 Sunsport 351 Pleasurecraft, but man that boat looks beautiful. Great find !

sybrmike
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Great looking boat - appears to be in excellent shape, especially if it's as original as it looks (hope the stringers/floor are solid). I have a tweaked version of the 454 in my bigger Salt - that Sunsport should haul a$$ & anything else you want. The platform looks brand new & in need of some oil, but congrats & hope she serves you well.

Moor
05-24-2013, 10:31 AM
yjwrangler75 - if you find that camper canvas PLEEAASSSSSEE let me know :) like i said id love to find one.

Sybermike - swim platform is like new, and needed oil. just finnished the second coat last night and looks like a million bucks. she's as original as it looks, and the floors a solid and stringers are nice and tight. I've never seen a boat this old so well kept and DRY. what have you done to your 454? im thinking about adding an aluminum intake, since mine needs a coat of paint and a few more horses never hurt anyone.

I spent the last few nights cleaning and waxing the hull, and resealing all the thru hulls and and plates. brand new battery last night, she's really looking pretty good now, so far im very happy. i test drove it before i bought it and it ran very good, im putting it in the water for the season this weekend, im hoping i dont have any teething problems since i've moved her half way across the country lol. I just sold my 1987 barefoot nautique 454 due to the infamous rotten stringers.... I hope this is the LAST boat i buy for a long time :) ill put more pics up soon of her all cleaned up.

yjwrangler95
06-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Here is what I have found let me know f your interested thanks

jimmyk102
06-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Looks great, very sweet find. Where about in Upstate NY are you? I'm in Rochester and have my Supra over on Canandaigua Lake.

Moor
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
YJWRANGLER95, do you have any ofe the tube frame and attaching hardware, or just the canvas. The canavs looks brand new .... :)

JimmyK102 - im on Burden Lake. Its a small private lake about 20 mins outside of Albany. How is Canandaigua Lake? I've never been there. My Aunt lives out that way by Elmira.... I've got about 10 hours on the boat now, and i love it. I can't wait to surf behind it, hopefully this week. Thats a real nice and clean Conbrio you have. Gotta love the old classics.....:)

yjwrangler95
06-04-2013, 08:55 PM
all i have is the canvas and it is basically brand new, i don't think it has every been used. I will ask a friend of mine if he still has the frame, not sure if he does but will check. Would you be interested in the top if I dont' have the hardware?

Thanks
Derek