PDA

View Full Version : Saltare speeds up and dies...up and dies.

Hugh
05-22-2013, 01:48 AM
Pretty sure this is a fuel flow issue but I thought I would throw it out there just in case this is common. We took the boat out Sunday after new impeller install, clean up, oil change ...yadda,yadda.

So all is good, bring her up, just coming to plane and she dies. Start it back up....same thing, coming up she dies...does this about 10 times. So instead of wasting a great afternoon we idled around and enjoyed the sun!

Any thoughts? 90 Saltare, 454, Holly.

Hugh

ibdealing07
05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I have a 90 Saltare with the same set up and had the same thing happen last year the first time we took it out. Bought a Holley trick kit from advanced auto and rebuilt the carb. It has tan flawless ever since.

haugy
05-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Sounds like your floats on your carb aren't set right. When you speed up you are burning more fuel. If the floats are too low and not allowing enough fuel in, the motor will starve out.
Not to mention when you speed up, you are on angle more.

inair
05-22-2013, 04:35 PM
It could also be that one or both of your fuel filters is partially clogged giving you enough at idle but no more. I had that issue two weeks ago. Cleaned it all out and put new fuel in and good to go.

wotan2525
05-22-2013, 04:53 PM
You sure your tank is full? When I'm almost empty it will do this same thing. The pick-up is in the front of the tank.... when the nose comes up, it starves for fuel, but you'll still have enough to idle.

Hugh
05-28-2013, 10:59 AM
You sure your tank is full? When I'm almost empty it will do this same thing. The pick-up is in the front of the tank.... when the nose comes up, it starves for fuel, but you'll still have enough to idle.

Did a carb clean, fresh fuel, added some sea foam treatment and we are running at speed now! thanks for the replies! now it looks like a possible neutral safety switch is shutting me down but thats a four handed job, one to wiggle wires and one to turn the key......and she went shopping!