PDA

View Full Version : sloppy rudder

slickscustoms
05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I have a question for anybody that has replaced or serviced their rudder. Does it have a replaceable bushing on the shaft that comes through the hull? Mine has a little play in it...

wotan2525
05-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Here's my thread from last year. If your rudder and port are the same as mine, you need to replace the seal, o-rings and snap ring. Have to remove the port to do it. It's not a trivial project, but it's not impossible.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?10735-Rudder-Packing-Refurb

slickscustoms
05-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Thanks that's a great write up! I'm gonna grease mine tomorrow and see if it helps any before rebuilding.

slickscustoms
05-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Looked like the only thing holding the rudder on was the cutter pin in the rudder shaft. I loosened the tiller arm snugged it up back where it is supposed to be. I definitely need a rebuild or a new assembly. I'm gonna try and make it through this season with the one I've got. If it were to take on water, how much water are we talking about coming through the rudder port??

cadunkle
05-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Probably a lot of water. A 1" hole 1' below water will flow about 20 GPM. Your 750 GPM bilge doesn't actually flow anywhere near 750 GPM, a result of head (lift) and friction in the hose and hose length. Be sure it won't fall out, or have two decent sized pumps at least. Idling and using a paddle to steer while sinking would not be fun.

Jetlink
05-23-2013, 05:29 PM
You talking 20 gallons per minute coming in through a hole that size? The bilge pump is probably only capable of 750 gallons per hour though.

Salty87
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
i saw a guy with a buddy on the platform using an oar as rudder. they weren't sinking but were going verrrry slow.

if you lose your rudder, find something to jam in the hole from under the boat. you should prob find a cork or something now to be ready just in case.

slickscustoms
05-23-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm not worried about loosing the rudder. My question was about water leaking past the o-rings and seals.

SquamInboards
05-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Are you leaving the boat in the water unattended for long periods? Or just launching it when you use it? The only way to know how much water will come in for sure it to launch it. Or raise the bow and put water in the boat from above, it will give you a decent idea but there's less pressure.

Salty87
05-24-2013, 09:36 AM
that's pretty common. bilge pump will run often but it can handle the amount. just keep an eye on the thru ull to make sure the pump runs however often it needs to. sitting still the amount is small. when you're running it will come in quicker and unless you have a pump in the stern it will accumulate until you come off plane. not great for the stringers at the transom, esp if original.

wotan2525
05-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Mine would require my auto bilge to run aprox 5 minutes/hour when it was leaking. Made me nervous to leave it out overnight but I did a few times.

slickscustoms
05-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys. I just 5200'd everything on the transom. Gonna back it in the water tomorrow and take a look see. Thanks!