PDA

View Full Version : Muffler wrapped in carpet?

awesomesteven
05-24-2013, 02:59 PM
So I noticed that both my mufflers are wrapped in carpet. Did the factory do this? Or is this possibly an attempt by one of the previous owners to dampen the sounds.

Just asking because that carpet is soaked and I don't really want to replace it, but will if I have to.

Salty87
05-24-2013, 03:44 PM
would love to see a pic of that. does it match the interior? lol

by mufflers, do you mean the pipes or do you have mufflers? many are just straight pipes. in some years they used mufflers.

CornRickey
05-24-2013, 07:39 PM
my SN pipes were all wrapped with carpet from the factory. I think it was to keep abrasive wear down.

awesomesteven
05-26-2013, 07:15 PM
would love to see a pic of that. does it match the interior? lol.

Haha. It actually did!

my SN pipes were all wrapped with carpet from the factory. I think it was to keep abrasive wear down.

Did you end up removing yours?

cadunkle
05-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Not sure abotu Supras but most Correct Crafts had mufflers wrapped to prevent rattling around or abrasion from wearing a hole in them. If you run straight pipes or metal mufflers I wouldn't put anything down there but if using fiberglass mufflers it's not a bad idea to wrap them with carpet, or something (rubber?) to keep them from wearing through from vibration.

Okie Boarder
05-26-2013, 11:46 PM
My mufflers were wrapped in carpet too.

kreed57
05-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Hello Salty87,
Great job on your rebuild. I noticed that you don't have a muffler. I have a 1991 SunSport with the fiberglass crossflow
muffler. The muffler is leaking and I am thinking about just eliminating it and just going straight out like you have. How
bad is the noise? Thanks

Salty87
05-29-2013, 02:04 PM
thanks, kreed!

i don't think any of the saltares have mufflers though i could be wrong. seems like sunsports did though. i like the sound of the straight pipes. you could check into fresh air exhaust to compare to the price of a muffler if you try w/o and don't like it. fresh air exhaust really quiets things down alot.

Jetlink
05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Hello Salty87,
Great job on your rebuild. I noticed that you don't have a muffler. I have a 1991 SunSport with the fiberglass crossflow
muffler. The muffler is leaking and I am thinking about just eliminating it and just going straight out like you have. How
bad is the noise? Thanks

I am now running straight pipes off of my Comp with the same engine you should have in your SunSport. It is louder than it was when I was running the super trapps, though I am much happier overall now that I eliminated them. The sound level should increase and also it will be a more "raw" sound.

Here's a quick clip I shot a few weeks ago when I got the boat fired up for the first time this year on the hose in the driveway. I can try and get a sound clip on the water if you want as well.
http://youtu.be/dsfG5RqVazQ

kreed57
05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks Salty,
I think I will try the straight pipes, I bet it does sound good!

kreed57
05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks, Jetlink that sounds great... I think it is time to make some noise!