PDA

View Full Version : seal-less prop shaft!!!

slickscustoms
05-25-2013, 08:25 PM
I found the leak on my 89 comp. It was leaking through the prop shaft. I loosened the hose clamps on the bellow and slid it up the shaft.the bellow was clamped to the shaft log and to the large collar attatched to the shaft. There is a graphite bushing inside the bellow but has probly 1/4 inch oversized. No packing nut! On a 89 comp did it have a packing nut or another type of seal?

slickscustoms
05-25-2013, 08:29 PM
This looks like it was worked on and put back together minus a couple key important parts!!

96Comp
05-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Hey... I got left over parts. What's this big brass nut and this string like stuff for? Ah, just throw it away. Not important :) Time to convert to a permanent seal shaft! I did. What a nice improvement!

wotan2525
05-28-2013, 12:56 PM
You're describing a dripless shaft seal. It's a completely different system than the packing box and nut. Most of the new boats run this. I've never had a problem with mine but I have heard that the graphite surface will sometimes need to be replaced.

wiatowski
05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!

slickscustoms
06-01-2013, 09:13 PM
I wish I could post pics but I'm unable to now. Who ever installed that needs to be kicked in the head! It was SUPPOSED to be a dripless system but they left out a couple key parts. Now it has a brand new original packing nut/stuffing box. I won't be able to get to the water till Yeh end of next week though... : (