PDA

View Full Version : Helmet vs. no helmet

jtomasik
05-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Started wake boarding last year. Took some decent diggers. Side hits on the head are pretty painful. Curious whether you guys feel a brain bucket while towed behind a boat is an improvement. Also, any info on ear protection? Swore that I could've blown out my eardrum from smacking the water.

Oh, hurry up. Headed to the lake tomorrow.

Sirgonz
05-25-2013, 11:56 PM
Started wake boarding last year. Took some decent diggers. Side hits on the head are pretty painful. Curious whether you guys feel a brain bucket while towed behind a boat is an improvement. Also, any info on ear protection? Swore that I could've blown out my eardrum from smacking the water.

Oh, hurry up. Headed to the lake tomorrow.

Guess I been lucky haven't had the pleasures riding you have! I never saw anyone on the river with one only if they are sliding rails and physical jumps!

wiatowski
05-26-2013, 11:28 PM
This is something that gets debated on on wakeboard forums ALL the time. Some say it's safer other say not.... Here's the thing, if you want to prevent blown ear drums get a Pro-tec helmet with detachable ear flaps. If you feel safer wearing a helmet, then go for it. If you you don't then don't. Helmets won't prevent a concussion, but may lessen the impact (amount it hurts) of a fall.

MoombaJester
05-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I have been riding with a helmet for two years now. Have to say the best part is having the ear flaps. Cuts down on the amount of water that gets in the ear. I have also taking a few good hits with it on and was happy I had it. Like wiatowski said it might not prevent a concussion but it does lessen the impact.

Ptownkid
06-01-2013, 06:29 AM
I always wear a helmet. The debate on message forums regarding whether or not it's safer is ridiculous, there's no debate involved. The impact is lessened without question.

chrisk
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM
About 6 years ago now I fell hard during a wake to wake 360. It knocked me out and erased my memory of that day. Couldn't move my neck for a week. Do I wish I was wearing a helmet for that fall? Yes. Do I wear one now? No.

After the fall I wore one for maybe a summer, but after a while I got really good at feeling a fall coming, so now I don't wear one. I know that sounds fishy to some people but if you spend as much time on the water doing multiple different disciplines as I have over the last few years you really do develop that skill. Like said above, if it makes you feel safer, definitely wear one. I'm just saying that I think eventually you will feel just as safe not wearing one.

OneCent
07-09-2013, 05:52 AM
why should a helmet be "unsafe"?

Ptownkid
07-13-2013, 07:07 PM
There's virtually no reason really. People who debate whether wearing a helmet is safer or not have likely needed a helmet on multiple occasions.