PDA

View Full Version : Overheat damage?

suprasam
05-26-2013, 08:59 PM
My impeller shredded today on the lake, didn't realize the temp was up so high. I shut motor off, but temp was around 220. I don't think it was for to long, what kind of damage could I have done?

cadunkle
05-26-2013, 09:40 PM
220 is pretty hot, but generally 230 is where damage starts to occur. Throw a new impeller in and see what happens. Typical damage will be damaged head gasket, rings losing tension (blowby, oil consumption), and possible intake leaks. If concerned do a compression test and see what you get. Of course either way check the oil frequently the next couple times you use it to be sure there's no water (from head or intake gasket failure).

michael hunter
05-27-2013, 07:40 AM
220 isn't hot enough to cause any engine problems . Its a automotive engine and they typically run 200-220. Check the rubber hoses and fiberglass mufflers if you have them. If you shredded the impeller make sure you get all the pieces out they sometimes get stuck at the thermostat.

suprasam
05-27-2013, 08:56 AM
12147 well here is what is left of my impeller, my gut told me I would regret not replacing over the winter! I've ordered a replacement, should I pull the plugs put any type of oil/lube once I get all back together? I hope I haven't caused any damage because I was being lazy and didn't replace a 50.00 part!

kvand347
05-27-2013, 09:34 AM
How old was it?

suprasam
05-27-2013, 10:45 AM
I want to say two seasons.

96Comp
05-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Change the impeller at the start of every season. Cheap insurance. I recommend changing oil/filer, checking for residual shred in cooling lines and check your mufflers if they are fiberglass. Warped heads and blown head gaskets will show up real quickly if there is damage to them. Oh, yeah, carry a spare impeller. Easy to replace on the water.

crystal waters
05-27-2013, 03:57 PM
call it overkill but I replace the impeller every season religiously!
I simply don't want any issues when boating season comes!

kvand347
05-27-2013, 05:03 PM
I want to say two seasons.

Wow! I've heard of people using them a lot longer than that. Might just be buying a new one this season. It was new last season and looked pretty good when I put it back in.

supraaddict
05-28-2013, 12:43 AM
I change my impeller every year as well. I had a similar issue with my boat except I had sprayed the engine with wd-40 when I winterized this season (Heard it helps keep linkages, etc. lubed while in storage for the winter). Well, needless to say I had a main supply hose come loose and overheated my engine enough to melt the exhaust flanges, the rubber exhaust flaps fell off my boat, I shut her down just in time, mine was at 230 degrees. When I shut her down, water locked the engine, had to have it towed in. Back at the house I pulled all my plugs, turned the engine over to get all the water out. Then I fogged each cylinder, put all the plugs back in, pulled the impeller and reinstalled (no damage surprisingly) and she fired right up (Ran my boat for about 30 minutes on a fake-a-lake). Did a compression test and she's still as good as new. Don't know if it will help but just thought I would share.

Jetlink
05-28-2013, 10:34 AM
You're such a rebel! I too have not changed the impeller since I purchased the boat three years ago. I can't remember if that was one of my contingencies though was that they needed to replace the impeller or not. Either way, I just make sure to check the overall condition of the impeller at least twice a year, when I remove it for the winter, and when I install it in the spring. If it shows signs of wear, I have one in stock to replace it with on the spot. I also do a thorough run up in the driveway before I am satisfied enough to put it in the water.

suprasam
05-28-2013, 10:49 AM
"Changing the oil after 3 seasons also" LOL now your just being a bit crazy! I know some say you should change your impeller every season......prior to this I would always disagree to some degree, but I think now I will just change it because I was so LAME I didn't even do the basics and even look at it the off season. The pisser about this is I have had the boat on Allatoona a decent amount of times already this year and of course the Holiday weekend when we had tons of plans on the lake BAM it goes out! Oh well live and learn great thing was I had four other boats to hang out on this weekend. Great thing about having friends with boats, almost always a free tow in to your trailer! I am picking the impeller up today at lunch, grabing some fogging oil as well, pull the plugs and see what happens tonight! FINGERS CROSSED!

wotan2525
05-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't replace mine every season but I do replace it whenever I run it dry (seems to happen at least once a year by accident.) I always keep a spare because without fail, the impeller will go out on the Thursday before a holiday weekend and you can never track one down locally. I actually have 3 in my "boat box" right now. I've also saved many a friends weekend by having an extra around.

Additionally -- ordering one online is about $30 and the local marina carries them for $58.

suprasam
05-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Ok.... I replaced the impeller got all the rubber pieces out of the pump BUT I pulled my spark plugs and there seems to be oil and water on them?! I pulled the dip stick and I don't see any water there. I'm picking up new plugs tomorrow, but with that water on my plugs what does that mean? What have I screwed up now? Any help would be appreciated !

kvand347
05-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Ok.... I replaced the impeller got all the rubber pieces out of the pump BUT I pulled my spark plugs and there seems to be oil and water on them?! I pulled the dip stick and I don't see any water there. I'm picking up new plugs tomorrow, but with that water on my plugs what does that mean? What have I screwed up now? Any help would be appreciated !

Did your boat diesel at all? (i.e. keep chugging a little after you keyed it off)

If so, you may have sucked water in through the exhaust...??

suprasam
05-28-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't remember to be honest, but I think I did chug a little cause I looked at exhaust tube like wtf? If it did do that what's that mean? I only pulled the starboard side plugs and they are out now.

kvand347
05-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Others should be able to chime in...

From what I've read, when the motor diesels, you actually cause it to reverse it's rotation. So instead of exhaust going out, it gets sucked in. Since we have a wet exhaust, that means water comes into the cylinder through the exhaust. A severe case can cause your motor to become hydrolocked.

The fix? Pull all spark plugs and crank the motor over to release any water trapped in the cylinder. Then, I'd spray fogging oil in each cylinder to prevent rust and increase lubrication on next start up. Drain the oil from the pan and replace with new oil. Check old oil for any water. If found, bring motor up to operating temperature and then do another oil change to be sure all water is out of the motor.

suprasam
05-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the help Kevin, that putsch mind to ease some. Sounds simple, so that's on my list to do tomorrow.