PDA

View Full Version : Dry land testing ... water supply to engine?

jtomasik
05-27-2013, 10:06 AM
First, I have a 1987 Comp T6SM, and I want to know how I can hook a water supply to the engine so I can diagnose a starting problem I'm having. That's my first question. Read on, if you want the Reader's Digest version of the issue.

Had a weird issue at the lake yesterday. Put the boat in the water, fired it up, ran for about 10 secs, the died. Would have to wait several minutes between restarts. But it would only run a few seconds then die. Pulled it out, was poking around, found a kinked fuel supply line. Fixed that, back in the water. Cranked it over...wouldn't fire. Sounded like battery was dying, so waited a minute. Tried again, it fired, sounded clean, but I saw I left the right front freeze plug out of the block, so I had to stop the engine. Put it in, but the boat wouldn't run.

So, I want to test this at home with a water supply to the engine. How can I do that?

trayson
05-27-2013, 01:17 PM
My 92 sunsport has a big t valve at the back of the engine compartment to hook a garden house to.

The yellow handle. If you don't have one of these, it's a good time to add it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6xLP6v-VsGQ/UVzUQOVoSSI/AAAAAAAANxw/RZD5mMOe9j0/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Sirgonz
05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
First, I have a 1987 Comp T6SM, and I want to know how I can hook a water supply to the engine so I can diagnose a starting problem I'm having. That's my first question. Read on, if you want the Reader's Digest version of the issue.

Had a weird issue at the lake yesterday. Put the boat in the water, fired it up, ran for about 10 secs, the died. Would have to wait several minutes between restarts. But it would only run a few seconds then die. Pulled it out, was poking around, found a kinked fuel supply line. Fixed that, back in the water. Cranked it over...wouldn't fire. Sounded like battery was dying, so waited a minute. Tried again, it fired, sounded clean, but I saw I left the right front freeze plug out of the block, so I had to stop the engine. Put it in, but the boat wouldn't run.

So, I want to test this at home with a water supply to the engine. How can I do that?

Ok I had a 1992 Regal 20fter that would do something similar... over the winter break a spider filled the breather tube for the fuel with web... it would start and run for a sec build up vacuum and then die... took a few to figure it out... not saying this is your problem but I would check it also.

wow 50th post!

chris young
05-27-2013, 08:31 PM
Barring the T mod, you can also take the raw water hose off the fitting at the hull, stick it in a bucket and keep filling the bucket with the water hose, just did it myself for the first time yesterday, the main problem is that my pump even at idle could out draw the garden hose, so I couldn't run for more than a minute or so. As ususal YMMV.

MESupra
05-27-2013, 09:19 PM
I do the same as Chris, I unhook the raw water intake hose add a 3ft length of garden hose and fill a 5 gal bucket and let the pump draw off that. As Chris mentioned it will draw more than most garden hoses even at idle.

jtomasik
05-28-2013, 05:11 PM
I do the same as Chris, I unhook the raw water intake hose add a 3ft length of garden hose and fill a 5 gal bucket and let the pump draw off that. As Chris mentioned it will draw more than most garden hoses even at idle.

Damn. Wish I would've seen this yesterday. Ran the crap out of the engine off the water hose. Oh well, it seems to be ok. Went out on the lake today...had other issues (carb likely has a stuck secondary float), but while it ran, it ran decent.

chris young
05-29-2013, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I would think as long as you had water lubricating the impeller (you did) and you didn't run the snot out of it for 20 minutes you'd be fine. Even then, there's probably enough cooling going through it that it would still be ok.

villain
06-02-2013, 11:31 AM
just stuff the hose down the pump pickup hose. you can hose clamp it in if you really want, but not necessary. or you can put one of these in.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/93034F/perko-flush-pro-marine-engine-flushing-winterizing-valve-kit.html

nd4spd
06-12-2013, 12:29 AM
I made this. It worked really well. Only downside is that I have to disconnect the line from the water pickup each time I use it.