PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline

SupraTom
07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
I have an 85 TS6M. Back in 85 and up until the last decade gasoline didn't consist of this 10% ethonol blend .

Does anyone with these older boats use any type(s) of additives such as lead additives or octane boosters to prolong the life of the engine

DKJBama92Mariah
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
In my uneducated opinion, lead additives are snake oil. It's a lead substitute, not lead; its like comparing budweiser and o'douls.

Octane booster isnt needed. 89 octane is plenty. The only time you need to increase octane above the manufacturer's specs is if you get pinging. However, I will put in a bottle of Lucas fuel treatment every now and then.

I swear by Lucas oil products. At my last oil change, i used a bottle of their oil treatment and suprisingly, i can actually tell a difference. Mechanical noise from the engine was significantly reduced. I'm no engineer, but logic tells me that less noise probably means less wear; at least to some extent. Now I wont make an assertion that it reduces wear because I dont have any fact to back that up, but at least it makes me feel better.

DKJ

OUI
07-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I have an '89 Saltare with a 454 and I've been burning 10% ethanol for years -- thats all we have in Minnesota -- and it runs fine. I even burn 87 octane with no binging and no problems.

Ironcross25
07-20-2006, 08:00 AM
a boat motor is like any other ordinary motor minus a computer. Very simple and straight forward. If you take care if it: tune up, oil chacge ect... it will last you a long time.

skiman_61
07-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Bud and O'Douls? Hmmmm, I think the O tastes better.
I have an 87 Saltare. The PCM big block Chevy runs fine on all mixes.

selle92
07-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by OUI

I have an '89 Saltare with a 454 and I've been burning 10% ethanol for years -- thats all we have in Minnesota -- and it runs fine. I even burn 87 octane with no binging and no problems.

dont' mean to stray OT here.
MN? Where abouts? I'm in MN as well

But agree.. I haven't had any probs using 87oct. However, like to put in 92 if possible.. just cause well, it's "92"-- I'm funny like that. :p

OUI
07-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Wayzata, but the boat is in Wisconsin

selle92
07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
;) good to know

I'm down in Prior Lake... but always looking for ski/boarding companions if interested. hard to get the wife to give a pull while holding our 1yr old...