PDA

View Full Version : Thermal circuit breaker tripping

Dean Jackson
05-27-2013, 04:06 PM
I have a 2008 Sunsport 22V with low hours. Several times now the thermal circuit breaker in the battery compartment has tripped and of course shuts down many of the electrical accessories on the boat. I have noticed it usually happens late in the day when we have more items running like the heater, lights and the stereo. Usually need to wait a few minutes for it to cool down, turn an item or two off and then hit the reset button. I was wondering if others have run into this issue and how they fixed it. I understand the purpose of the thermal circuit breaker, but it doesn't seem right that only a few items can be on at once. Seems the boat should be able to handle the stereo, lights and the heater going when cruising at dusk. Could I have a wiring issue or maybe have something hooked up wrong or loose?

I would appreciate any advice or help. Thank you

Wylietunes
05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Is the stereo one of the items that shuts down when the breaker trips? Are there extra lights running like tower spot lights that have been added as an aftermarket accessory? Sounds like there have been some accessories added to that circuit that where not planned on by the factory and the load is exceeding the capacity of the breaker. The first thing to do it to isolate those non-OEM loads and get them on their own circuit. Then if the problem still exists, you are looking at a devise that is pulling more then it should, but not enough to trip its own breaker or fuse but more then the main breaker can carry will all the other loads on, or a breaker thats going bad. If you can get a hold of something like a Fluke meter with an amp clamp, you can measure the current draw on that main breaker circuit.

Dean Jackson
05-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Thanks Michael. I don't remember if the stereo is one of the items that shuts down. Will have to test it and find out. The boat came right from the dealer but they may have put some extras on it. It does have the tower spot lights you mention and they get pretty hot. I will take your advice and get them on their own circuit and anything else that was perhaps added and see what happens. Really appreciate you taking the time to provide the advice!