PDA

View Full Version : Burying nose in rollers and spray crossing rough water

burkec
05-28-2013, 01:32 PM
242 launch, fully loaded with 10, ballast full and can't keep nose from going under crossing rollers. Any suggestions?

Also, crossing lake in rough water leaves passengers soaking wet. Ay tips?

Jetlink
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM
242 launch, fully loaded with 10, ballast full and can't keep nose from going under crossing rollers. Any suggestions?

Also, crossing lake in rough water leaves passengers soaking wet. Ay tips?

Throttle control, also...try pulling the throttle to idle while not turning the steering wheel at all, allow your wake to pass by and then turn back to pick up your rider.

Zim
05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Sounds like driver error to me... :p

Seriously though, if you're surfing, cut the throttle while still going straight and turn the boat away from the surf side wave. Let the rollers pass you while the boat is sideways (parallel with waves), then give it throttle and spin around slowly back to your downed rider.

If you're wakeboarding, do essentially the same maneuver. Eliminate power turns when possible to savor your good, smooth water, and maybe have people get out of the bow if it's still an issue. How new are you to driving a boat? It takes a litte practice, especially with how the noses on the new ones really dip down a lot. If you came from driving I/O with high freeboard, it's just not going to be the same.

As for the splashing issue, that's just how it goes sometimes in a ski boat on rough water. These are made for glass and shaping wakes, not cutting through heavy chop. If it's windy, it'll be even worse. I managed to keep all of my passengers dry in my 20V in heavy chop this last weekend at LOTO. That was not an easy task.

burkec
05-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Brand new to inboard. Moved from a Sea Ray so kids could surf. I miss the sea ray at the moment, but the hints you provided should help.

Thank you very much

burkec
05-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Mike,
How did you keep them dry in heavy chop with heavy wind(usually one and the same)? Head directly into the wind or with the wind? Never cross wind?
Wakeplate up or down?
Ballasts empty?

burkec
05-28-2013, 04:58 PM
what is a good speed across chop in heavy wind??

Zim
05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Mike,
How did you keep them dry in heavy chop with heavy wind(usually one and the same)? Head directly into the wind or with the wind? Never cross wind?
Wakeplate up or down?
Ballasts empty?

We didn't have much wind over the weekend, just big rollers. At lake of the ozarks, 50 footers are very common and really throw wakes much larger than ever intended on a river style lake. I put wake plate all the way down to keep from porpoising as much as possible. No ballast (but I had 10 people in the boat). We got a couple of splashes here and there from the massive waves, but definitely were not soaked. In my old boat (83 mastercraft) we'd get soaked all the time, but the supra is much better about that stuff.

Jetlink
05-28-2013, 05:12 PM
Empty ballast unless you are actually needing the ballast. Also, cruise at a slower speed so you have the bow rise but are not truly on plane. You're going to get a little wet from time to time on a boat as it is surrounded by water. I manage to stay dry almost all the time on my comp which has next to no freeboard on some really choppy water. In fact, when I had to drive across the chain to pull my boat out on Sunday, I got wet from the rain and not from all the waves or chop out there. It is all about finding the right throttle setting and speed to get the boat to ride at that proper deck angle.

Tmoney
05-28-2013, 07:51 PM
I always make sure I am accelerating over the rollers till I am clear of them....never had an issue if you remember that one tip....go too slow and you'll get water up front....I learned and so did my bow riding passengs

We have the 2011 242 Launch and love it

Heded to Lake Cumberland this weekend....finally getting some warm temps in the Midwest ...we live in Cincinnti

burkec
05-28-2013, 09:11 PM
I always make sure I am accelerating over the rollers till I am clear of them....never had an issue if you remember that one tip....go too slow and you'll get water up front....I learned and so did my bow riding passengs

We have the 2011 242 Launch and love it

Heded to Lake Cumberland this weekend....finally getting some warm temps in the Midwest ...we live in Cincinnti

Thanks to all for the tips.

Tmoney... Do you get wet crossing lake in wind and chop? Any tips?

2500HD
05-28-2013, 09:22 PM
when surfing it's all about timing. surfer goes down and you have 2 choices.
1. wait for the rollers to go past
2. turn the bow into the rollers and when you get to the first one gun it to get the bow up. just make sure you don't nose into another one. or to better explain it. as your coming up the first roller give her enough gas to keep the nose a foot above the next roller. That way you hit it with the keel.

Jetlink
05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Just have better throttle control and don't go driving like this...

http://screen.yahoo.com/navy-ship-hits-massive-wave-113238145.html