PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump on 2000 comp

Jeffrey
05-28-2013, 08:48 PM
I have a 2000 comp that Im getting ready for summer and believe I have an air leak in the fuel system. If I fill the fuel water separator with gas it starts and runs for 3 minutes or so but then dies because it's not siphoning gas from the tank. I believe there's an air leak that's ruining the siphon from the tank. And I believe its right at the fuel pump because it seems like an odd set up. Should there be a rubber fitting that the fuel pump fits into to help make a good seal around the stainless steel bracket? Check out the pic so you can see my set up. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeffrey
06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Just an update on my progress. If the fuel system is primed to get all the air out of the fuel filter and hose from the gas tank, it runs fine. No issues. If the boat sits for an extended period of time you lose the prime and have to do minor surgery on the fuel system to get all the air out. Who wants to do that every time you want to go boating?!

So Indmar makes a kit to use a second low pressure fuel pump that sits just before the fuel filter / pump complex. There's even a bracket on the engine that it fits on. I ordered the pump from Bakes marine which comes with a splitelectrical hook upto run both pumps. From what I can gather, the original fuel pump when coupled to the fuel filter doesn't have enough suction generated to overcome any air that might be in the filter in addition to any air that may be in the line from the gas tank. So the second pump with a direct connection to the line from the tank helps to prime the system. Makes sense. Also will help with any vapor lock issues starting and stopping on a hot summer day. Has anyone else had this problem?

Jeffrey
06-23-2013, 07:26 PM
I wanted to let everyone know that that auxiliary fuel pump works great. I just had the boat out and it ran strong all day, hot or cold, problem fixed. Im surprised more people haven't read or replied to this post because this is a very common problem. If your boat hesitates or has moments when it cuts out or wont start, its all about fuel not getting to the engine. It does seem silly to have two fuel pumps but that's probably why they put them in the tank now like cars do. Someday when my fuel tank needs replacing i may go that route.

HC1
06-24-2013, 10:55 AM
I have a 2004 launch that I ran for the first time this season. It ran well for about an hour and than it went to a really high idle to almost stalling, back to a high idle and than it died. It seemed like it had vapor lock because it was starved for fuel. After reading your post it seems like there might be an issue with the fuel pump as well as an air leak in the line. Looks like I might have to order the same set up as you did to get this corrected.

Jeffrey
06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
I got mine from Bakes marine in Washington. It was a simple installation with all the parts I needed. I have a 5.7L MPI and the engine already had a bracket as if it was expecting a pump there. The pump came with a bracket for installation of yours doesn't. You will have to buy an extra foot or two or gas hose to go between the pumps.

trayson
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Jerrery, can you read my thread I started and let me know if my issues are the same as what you were experiencing?
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15163-92-Sunsport-PCM-351-will-die-at-idle-and-have-to-give-it-extra-throttle-in-quot-gear-quot&p=97066#post97066

Also, do you have a link for this secondary fuel pump? And price?
I looked at Bakes online and didn't see anything that sounded like what you were talking about.