PDA

View Full Version : Carb issues

wspeedin
05-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh man! I'm totally stumped. My 454 runs really good, for a few minutes. Then it dumps fuel into the front 2 barrels and floods the boat. I have rebuilt the carb and still no fix. I have replaced everything but the main body of the carb and still no fix.
I can wait until the fuel evaporates and she will start up instantly but within a few minutes it floods again.
I've got a 4160 Holley and need help!!

dirtydawg
05-28-2013, 11:28 PM
I just bought a new 351w and a newly rebuilt 4160. that carb is now in a scrap parts pile. It would flood so easy. dumping too much fuel even when motor wasn't running.
I know it was the floats, but nothing I did would fix it. Instead of going insane I replaced it with a new Quick Fuel marine carb. the model I got has a sight window and floats adjust easy as does air fuel mixture. I CAN NOT believe the difference how my motor runs now.

mabbore
05-29-2013, 10:03 AM
I just bought a new 351w and a newly rebuilt 4160. that carb is now in a scrap parts pile. It would flood so easy. dumping too much fuel even when motor wasn't running.
I know it was the floats, but nothing I did would fix it. Instead of going insane I replaced it with a new Quick Fuel marine carb. the model I got has a sight window and floats adjust easy as does air fuel mixture. I CAN NOT believe the difference how my motor runs now.

I am also interested in getting a new carb in the future, which qucik fuel carb model did you get?

Salty87
05-29-2013, 10:09 AM
edelbrocks swap out real easy too. only difference is the fuel line.

cadunkle
05-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Float level is too high, or junk in needle and seats. Float could have a hole or be saturated depending on type. Adjust float level lower, replace float if you have not already. Check your filter too.

I would recommend a 4150 style carb with externally adjustable floats... Quick and easy to check and adjust float level.

dirtydawg
05-29-2013, 10:42 AM
The Quick Fuel model I used is M-650 I got form Jegs. I think its modeled after the 4150

jtomasik
05-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Any idea how to tell what model Holley is on the boat? The only numbers I can find, other than the patent pending numbers, are on an attached metal tag, and it says "Motorcraft" on it (along with some numbers). Are those good numbers to reference the carb itself? I'm interested in fixing what might be a stuck float (tons of fuel getting dumped into the secondaries during start-up), and likely selling this boat. I don't want to invest too much money in it, since I'll be selling it. It's a 1987 Comp with a 351W in it.

Jetlink
05-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Holley 4160 sticks out in my head as the carb you have on there.

wspeedin
05-29-2013, 11:27 AM
My carb on my 454 is a 4160, not sure how that translates to Edelbrock.

Cadunkle, I have replaced every part and chem dipped the carb 3 times now. I thought the floats could have a hole so I replaced them with known good ones. I've replaced all the jets, the metering block, the power valve, the needle and seats and adjusted the float levels.

It's weird because it will run great for a few minutes and then it just dumps fuel and floods. I've even tried different options of jets, valves, and all removable parts. I'm at a point where I think there must be a crack in the main body or something.

cadunkle
05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
When it floods the fuel is pouring out of the primary boosters, correct? Or does it come from the primary bowl vent? Or from below the boosters in the main body? If it runs fine for a few minutes then randomly floods and pukes fuel I'd suspect junk getting in the needle and seat and preventing from fully closing. What type of filter do you have before the carb? Upon disassembly any of the times have you inspected the needle and seat closely and found any specks of junk or grit on the needle? It really sounds like high fuel level in the primary bowl.

What fuel pump are you running? It's possible it could be outputting higher pressure and forcing fuel past the needle and seat. Doubtful if you're running a typical marine fuel pump and not a high output aftermarket pump.

Any signs of leakage past metering block to main body gasket? The main body can warp or the screws holes can be pulled, resulting in high spots. Test with a straight edge and use a fine flat file to clean up, or a line sander works as well. This shouldn't cause flooding it it was a problem, though it may cause some other odd issues.

wspeedin
06-04-2013, 01:23 PM
So can any of you give me son suggestions on carbs to buy? I've looked at skidim and there Holley is outrageous. I've been on summit and kegs but there's so many variations of each. I'm kind of stumped.

Salty87
06-04-2013, 01:51 PM
i'd swear this was $100 cheaper a few years ago

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1410/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710905536&catargetid=1784156432&cadevice=c&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPH6zuv7yrcCFVIV7AoddTQArA

wspeedin
06-04-2013, 02:04 PM
i'd swear this was $100 cheaper a few years ago

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/1410/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710905536&catargetid=1784156432&cadevice=c&&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPH6zuv7yrcCFVIV7AoddTQArA

So you think I should go to 750cfm? I know jetlink sent me a link for a 750 carter carb. Just don't want to sink that kind of money and not have the right part

Salty87
06-04-2013, 03:15 PM
good question. either my memory is gone or i wrongly assumed the 4160 was also a 750.

lively
06-04-2013, 03:55 PM
My carb on my 454 is a 4160, not sure how that translates to Edelbrock.

Cadunkle, I have replaced every part and chem dipped the carb 3 times now. I thought the floats could have a hole so I replaced them with known good ones. I've replaced all the jets, the metering block, the power valve, the needle and seats and adjusted the float levels.

It's weird because it will run great for a few minutes and then it just dumps fuel and floods. I've even tried different options of jets, valves, and all removable parts. I'm at a point where I think there must be a crack in the main body or something.where do you see that it is dumping the fuel ? Squirters? Boosters ? Do u have a vacuum gauge to see what it's pulling when it floods ? This will help solve some issues . Power valve can cause this and float as well . But need to see where the fuel is actually coming from ..

Moor
06-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Wspeedin- Id listen to the guys suggesting edelbrock... I have swapped out numerous old holly's on my muscle cars and boats, and LOVED the difference in throttle response and overall smoothness. You never have to make a mess when changing jets and needles because the float bowls don't have to be removed, and once they are tuned right, they run the same EVERY DAY and you won't have to fiddle with it. If i were going to buy a replacement carb for my 454, it would def be a edelbrock 750. I already did the swap on my Olds 455, i'll never buy a holly again unless im going to the drag strip.

wspeedin
06-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Well, I decided to go with this carb that Jetlink sent me a link to
http://store.edelbrock.com/9910edelbrockreconditioned1410marineepscarburetor7 50cfmelectricchokenonegr.aspx
Hopefully it will work just right!

Salty87
06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
that's more like the price i remember. you won't be disappointed. all you'll need to bolt it on is a new fuel line. i think i've read there are coast guard approved flexible lines now so that should be simple.