PDA

View Full Version : Water in the bilge.... Hmmm

Peliades
05-29-2013, 07:27 PM
I just bought a 2006 launch 20 ssv and put her to work for the first time memorial weekend. It rained a ton in NY and I realized that my bilge pump disconnected after I trailered it home from Massachusetts. So after reconnecting my pump and evacuating over 50 gals I was ready to go. But after I returned the bilge pump kicked on again and pumped about 3 gals out again. This had me concerned. I've always owned a stern drive or outboard boat so I'm trying to temper my expectations of a v drive and rudder connection. So my question is...do you guys experience this "little" seepage during normal usage or should I think about replacing my shaft housing? Thoughts? Thanks! Peter

chris young
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Well, Peter, I'm new to all this as well, so for me it's only all the reading I've done here and my experience with the 2 Nautiques at the ski club.

Older packings will leak quite a bit, if I'm just hangin' at the dock at the ski school, about every 15 minutes or so, the bilge will pump out close to a litre of water. No doubt, those packings need to be replaced. If you buy the new style http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24 of packing and install it correctly they claim that they are virtually drip-less. I just ordered mine, I'll be putting it in as soon as I'm able, I'd like to leave my boat in the water for 2 or 3 weeks unattended and I'd like to know that it's not sitting on the bottom when I get back due to a bilge pump running continuously for 3 weeks and draining the battery.

Hopefully someone else who knows your boat a bit better can chime in.

Salty87
05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
first you need to determine if you have a stuffing box or dripless seal. the stuffing box needs to drip a little bit unless you get the newest style packing that, like chris said, doesn't need water to lubricate. if you have a stuffing box you might be able to tighten the large nut. after a while, the packing needs to be replaced entirely.

if you have a dripless seal, it might need adjusting. most newer boats with dripless will have a small water hose for lubrication from the water intake hose to the dripless seal.

got pic?

jzelt
05-30-2013, 01:29 PM
If it is on the trailer, why not pull the drain plug to let the water out?
Make sure water isn't coming in around the rudder. (Grease the zerk fitting).
Replacing the packing isn't too bad, buy a variety set of picks from a hardware store to remove the old one if you have that kind and you have already tightened the packing nut.