PDA

View Full Version : Poop Deck?

jsantos615
07-17-2006, 04:27 PM
After owning a Four Winns for 12 years, I'm finally the proud owner of new Supra 24 SSV. The boat hasn't been in my well for more than 24 hours and the ducks have already left me a boatwarming present!

Years ago, I saw a product called the "Poop Deck" in an Overton's catalog. Now, I'm having a difficult time finding one when I need it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

joe

DKJBama92Mariah
07-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Shotgun!

jsantos615
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM
BTW:

I tried calling Innovative Plastic concepts and all I get is a machine.

The original article for this item is here. (http://www.waterskimag.com/article_print.jsp?ID=12189)

Inboard owner Jeff Barnes was tired of ducks using his teak swim platform for a bathroom stop. Others at his marina had tried cumbersome basket-and-bungee routines, but he wanted something clean, simple and quick to install.
Since no such device existed, Barnes invented one. Called the Poop Deck Cover, his angled PVC frame and fabric cover not only keeps waterfowl from fouling the platform but also blocks harmful UV rays.
Made of a durable UV-stabilized PVC fabric with a PVC pipe frame, the Poop Deck Cover is available in several standard sizes to fit most tournament-style inboards and can be custom sized if needed. Suggested retail is $89.95.
For more information, contact Innovative Plastic Concepts at 11751 Fox Road, Suite 44-124, Indianapolis, IN 46236, or phone 317-826-1406.

selle92
07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
So... what do you do for Blue Herrons/ducks ontop of the canopy?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid184/pd0120e3338396f646ba371b4cfb265af/f2967092.jpg

SHOTGUN....;)

Dang things leave Nasty Fish extracts up top, and poop all over my canopy... Need to get one of those fake owls I guess....

supra24ssv
07-18-2006, 09:10 PM
an easy solution is leave fake snakes on the deck, works great

jsantos615
07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Hmmm...good idea. One question though: Here in Michigan, we don't have snakes in the water that prey on ducks. Do you think a fake snake will still work?

OUI
07-19-2006, 03:56 PM
If you don't have duck eating snakes, then get a fake eagle.

jsantos615
07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Not many eagles in the Detroit 'burbs. A hawk or owl, perhaps?

OUI
07-19-2006, 05:14 PM
The ducks don't know that.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Shotgun. If it doesnt scare them now, it sure as hell wil after a shot or two. Keep in mind though, mallards, canvasbacks, and other trophy birds have season and trouble can come from shooting them. On the other hand, im pretty sure Coots are open season all year.

We've had a similar problem with swallows nesting in the I-beams of or boathouse and crapping all over the place, so we invented a new sport; swallowball! Grab a boat paddle and knock a nest or two down. They get PISSED and dive bomb you. Thats when the fun begins. Take the paddle and go for the grand slam. I'm batting about 0.200 this season; its harder than you'd think. I feel bad for half a second until i look at the shit all over the boat, cover, and dock that i get to clean up. There are plenty other places to nest; maybe they'll catch on one of thse days.

DKJ

DKJBama92Mariah
07-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by selle92
So... what do you do for Blue Herrons/ducks ontop of the canopy?

Thats pretty cool. We've had one thats been hanging out every winter since i was a little kid. He sits at the peak of the roof on the boathouse every morning till 8:30 or 9:00. There is a permanent poop splatter on the shingles from him. He can crap on the roof all he wants, i dont care. He's been there almost as long as i've been around, so i just let him be.

We also have a flock of about 30-40 canadian geese that fly in every winter that hang out in the back yard. They bed down in a field just across the slough from us. Strangely, we found at least 100 goose feathers strewn around the back yard a couple weeks ago. Not sure what the deal was: either a coyote or some REALLY kinky mating ritual.

OUI
07-19-2006, 07:03 PM
I'll have to give swallow ball a try some time -- sounds like fun. When it comes to those little bastards nothing works better than a stuffed parrot (plush toy). I've tried owls, spinning things, destroying the nests, everything -- but one thing is for sure, before they nest in the spring hang a stuffed parrot from the rafters and they wouldn't even stop to say hi.

Maybe I should try it on my relatives.

selle92
07-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Relatives :) Good idea.

Will have to try the parrot thing.. I got tons of the little f-ers (swallows) tring to make nests in the underside corners of my canopy as well..

I swear. They can build a nest in like a days time.. I have to be on top of it and knock down any nests quick, cause 2 days later it seem there are little ones in it, and I dont' think I could bring myself to knocking it down then.

We had this problem at our old place as we never went in the front door. We always used the garage, but noticed they built and crapped everywhere in our front entry.. I started knocking them down then everytime I noticed them haning around, but I got swooped all the time. I used a broom to knock down the nests and it came in handy when they'd swoop. One actually flew into our house one day as I went out there. Not fun trying to get a bird out of your place with 15ft ceilings.... Had to ducktape a bed sheet to some extend poles and force him down and out the door.

DKJBama92Mariah
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
One thing about swallow ball, the neighbors may think you've gone off the deep end.

DKJ

supra24ssv
07-20-2006, 09:22 PM
we don;t have duck eating snakes either but they are scared of them, the larger the fake snake the better

DKJBama92Mariah
07-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by OUI
When it comes to those little bastards nothing works better than a stuffed parrot (plush toy).
Maybe I should try it on my relatives.

Just got one on ebay for $15 shipped. For $15, i'll give it a shot. If it dont work, the dog'll have a nice chewtoy.

I'll give it a shot. As far as the inlaws, the shotgun is probablly your better choice there. :p

BTW, a local marine policeman told me that hanging blank CDs with fishin line works too. I just dont want my dock to look like a damn disco joint.

DKJ

selle92
07-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Hrmm.. Might have to try that CD thing. But will need a strobe light and disco ball as well think.

Maybe I just need another battery for my boat.. keep the tunes pumping all night long ;)

jsantos615
08-04-2006, 10:56 AM
I like the Disco thing, but what about charging cover? How much per head? What happens when the ecstasy dealers start moving in?

I'm out to West Marine today for an owl. My swim platform doesn't have much along the lines of duck poop, but that's because I think I bought the only Supra ever to have no less than 10 not-so minor defects off of the dealer lot, brand new. Thus, it hasn't really been in the water that much...