PDA

View Full Version : PCM 40a 1.23:1 stuck in reverse

Supra+
06-03-2013, 03:20 AM
Hey guys just wondering who has used or rebuilt transmissions for the 1991 PCM 40a 1.23:1 mine took a dive and is stuck in reverse I was thinking about rebuilding it myself but I want to get it right but I also don't want to pay $2000.00 for a new transmission. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wotan2525
06-03-2013, 11:02 AM
They are pretty simple. Someone will chime in but there was a write up that someone did on here. They are basically like a transfer case (which I've rebuilt.) Pretty easy to do if you've got basic mechanical knowledge.

Supra+
06-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Thank a write up would be great the only thing is I don't have any of the special tools that the manual calls for and I don't know where to get them. Oh well if there are people who have knowledge of doing it maybe they know how to do it without special tools or what is necessary and what is overkill.I would also like to know where to buy a rebuild kit. Any info is helpful thanks again

lively
06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
the only special tool you need is a feller gauge .. Ebay is where i got my kit . i reversed into sand barge and shattered my reverse friction plate and all the springs. they are super easy to rebuild and you can download the rebuild manual for free VIA WEB . just do a google search for it .. and make sure to order the reverse tention springs because most kits do not include them .. and if you type in on this forum velvet drive rebuild i made a step by step with pics .. make sure to grab some beer .. cause you will be drinking more than rebuilding .. its real simple

Jetlink
06-03-2013, 09:07 PM
About how many beers does it take to complete this task Lively?

lively
06-03-2013, 09:22 PM
well i had a 12 pack and then i had a friend help me clean parts .. grabbed another 12 pack .. put it together the next day lol .. but then drank another 12 pack so only 36 :)